RC vs RL Filters: Power Loss & Which is Better?

In summary, the guy on youtube said that the R in the RL filter is the drive unit and that it is more efficient than with an RC filter with a series dissipative resistor. He also said that the dissipated power in the RL arrangement is partly (if not totally) in the form of radiated sound energy.
iScience
this guy on youtube said "if you try pushing more than a few miliamps through an RC filter then you get significant power loss" and that therefore the RL filter was more preferable.

@ 2:40:

i thought L & C components don't dissipate any power, so what's the difference between running the same amount of current through either filters?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
WOW --- conclusion with no explanation. There is no power loss in in an ideal inductor or the capacitor. But, that is not the issue. He quickly showed a low pass filter with a capacitor, which is a shunt low pass filter. Pause at the last schematic, at the very end (2:49). The power loss is in the series R (he shows heat radiating from the R).
A lot of what he says makes me cringe, but it's not outright wrong. And, demo-ing a woofer with no enclosure --- wow.

I think the point he is trying to make is that the R in the RL filter is the drive unit itself and (particularly when the unit is in a proper enclosure ) the Resistance component in the RL, actually consists of the acoustic load, pushing sound out into the room. That is more efficient than with an RC filter with a series, dissipative resistor which, even near DC, will be dissipating a significant amount of the amplifier power.

I think you are a bit confused. He is describing an RL and RC crossover network driven by a low impedance amplifier.
Audio amplifiers do not have 8 ohms out. The point he is making is that the R in the RC filter drops power when the C shunts audio.

meBigGuy said:
I think you are a bit confused. He is describing an RL and RC crossover network driven by a low impedance amplifier.
Audio amplifiers do not have 8 ohms out. The point he is making is that the R in the RC filter drops power when the C shunts audio.
Not confused. For the C to work, there needs to be a series R first. A Low Impedance (Voltage Source) will not be affected by a shunt C; it needs a series R. That will waste power. The dissipated power in the RL arrangement is partly (if not totally) in the form of radiated sound energy (radiation resistance - to use an antenna term). In the right enclosure, the resistance of the voice coil will not be the only 'R' element involved.

meBigGuy said:
Ahh. I see what you are saying now and it makes sense. In my vocabulary, the 'drive unit' is the moving part of the loudspeaker - and a loudspeaker consists of the box, ports, damping and the drive unit etc. etc.) I did not mean the Amplifier had a poor output impedance. Not an 'understanding' problem - just the use of terms. :)

I think we are in sync. I misunderstood "drive unit". We just call it the driver. You are correct that the driver is the R in the RL filter, which is an important point.
He certainly leaves room for misunderstanding in his last paragraph, though.

1. What is the difference between RC and RL filters?

RC filters use a combination of a resistor and a capacitor to filter out certain frequencies in a circuit, while RL filters use a combination of a resistor and an inductor. The main difference between the two is the type of component used to store and release energy.

2. How do RC and RL filters affect power loss?

RC filters tend to have lower power loss compared to RL filters. This is because capacitors have lower resistance compared to inductors, so they dissipate less power in the form of heat. However, both types of filters do incur some power loss due to the nature of their components.

3. Which type of filter is better for reducing power loss?

In general, RC filters are better for reducing power loss compared to RL filters. This is because capacitors have lower resistance compared to inductors, so they dissipate less power in the form of heat. However, the specific application and circuit design may influence which type of filter is more suitable for reducing power loss.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing between RC and RL filters?

When deciding between RC and RL filters, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the desired frequency response, the amount of power loss that can be tolerated, and the cost and availability of components. It is also important to consider the specific application and circuit design in order to choose the most suitable filter.

5. Are RC or RL filters better for audio applications?

Both RC and RL filters can be used for audio applications, but RC filters are more commonly used. This is because capacitors are better at filtering out high frequencies, which is often desired in audio applications. Additionally, RC filters tend to have lower power loss, making them a more efficient choice for audio circuits.