RCL Circuit: 2 Resistors, 1 Capacitor, 2 Inductors

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a power supply of 45 volts and components including two resistors, two inductors, and one capacitor. The goal is to find the power dissipated by each resistor, the frequency at which both resistors dissipate the same power, and the current delivered by the power supply at very low frequencies. The approach is to find the current through each resistor and use it to calculate the power dissipated. The problem can be broken down into two loops, and the equations for each loop can be set up using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. This problem may seem intimidating, but it combines many simpler problems and can be solved by taking it one step at a time.
B. Vane

Homework Statement

NOTE: Image uploaded with thread shows problem in clearest possible form.

V = (45v)sin(80[pi] t)
Resistors 1 and 2 = 50 Ohms
Inductor 1 = 20 mH
Inductor 2 = 2.5 mH
Capacitor = 50 uF

a) Find the power dissipated by each resistor.
b) At what frequency will both resistors dissipate the same power?
c) What would be the answer to part (b) if you swapped the inductors?
d) Justify your answers to parts (b) and (c) with a graph of the impedance of each branch as function of frequency.
d) What is the current delivered by the power supply at very low frequencies?

Homework Equations

They are in the second uploaded document. They are all the equations I believe for RCL Circuits.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble knowing where exactly to start.
I believe I have to try and condense the Resistors and Inductors into 1 loop but I'm not sure how to.
Plus all the other parts of the question are intimidating to say the least for me.
I can do simpler problems but we never covered an example like this in the course and I've searched high and low online to no avail. Please help, it will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 652
  • RLC Circuit Formulas.docx
    686.9 KB · Views: 272
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello B. Vane,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

B. Vane said:

Homework Statement

NOTE: Image uploaded with thread shows problem in clearest possible form.

V = (45v)sin(80[pi] t)
Resistors 1 and 2 = 50 Ohms
Inductor 1 = 20 mH
Inductor 2 = 2.5 mH
Capacitor = 50 uF

a) Find the power dissipated by each resistor.
b) At what frequency will both resistors dissipate the same power?
c) What would be the answer to part (b) if you swapped the inductors?
d) Justify your answers to parts (b) and (c) with a graph of the impedance of each branch as function of frequency.
d) What is the current delivered by the power supply at very low frequencies?

Homework Equations

They are in the second uploaded document. They are all the equations I believe for RCL Circuits.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble knowing where exactly to start.
I'd start with part a).

Seriously though, start with finding the current through each resistor. Your list of impedances for different types of components should be useful. Prepare for a considerable bit of algebra involving complex numbers.

Once you have the current through a given resistor, you should then find the expression for the power dissipated by that resistor.

I advise coming up with an expressions for the power (or at least the current through each resistor) in terms of variables, and plug the numbers into the expression as a final step. That way, you can "reuse" much of your work between steps (part a and c for example). Otherwise you might find yourself having to start from the beginning each time something changes.

I believe I have to try and condense the Resistors and Inductors into 1 loop but I'm not sure how to.
I'm not sure what you mean.

There are two loops. If you set the loops up smartly, you should be able to work with each loop individually for parts a), c), and d).

(Well, the first d that is. The second d should be pretty easy though after some thought [it's one of the easier steps].)

Plus all the other parts of the question are intimidating to say the least for me.
This problem is long, containing many parts. Give yourself time. This isn't the type of problem that you can complete in a couple minutes. Just give yourself a good chunk of time to work on it, and work through each part one step at a time. Think of it as a project.

I can do simpler problems but we never covered an example like this in the course and I've searched high and low online to no avail. Please help, it will be much appreciated.
I have a feeling that this problem combines many of the simpler problems that you already know into one bigger problem (with many steps). Just be patient, have perseverance, and work through it step by step. :smile:

Last edited:
B. Vane said:

You don't have to set up equations for loops ( Kirchhoffs Voltage Law). For example:

Upper path: Voltage over resistor+capacitor+inductor = 45V.
Middle path: Voltage over resistor+inductor = 45V.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Hello B. Vane,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:I'd start with part a).

Seriously though, start with finding the current through each resistor. Your list of impedances for different types of components should be useful. Prepare for a considerable bit of algebra involving complex numbers.

Once you have the current through a given resistor, you should then find the expression for the power dissipated by that resistor.

I advise coming up with an expressions for the power (or at least the current through each resistor) in terms of variables, and plug the numbers into the expression as a final step. That way, you can "reuse" much of your work between steps (part a and c for example). Otherwise you might find yourself having to start from the beginning each time something changes.I'm not sure what you mean.

There are two loops. If you set the loops up smartly, you should be able to work with each loop individually for parts a), c), and d).

(Well, the first d that is. The second d should be pretty easy though after some thought [it's one of the easier steps].)This problem is long, containing many parts. Give yourself time. This isn't the type of problem that you can complete in a couple minutes. Just give yourself a good chunk of time to work on it, and work through each part one step at a time. Think of it as a project.I have a feeling that this problem combines many of the simpler problems that you already know into one bigger problem (with many steps). Just be patient, have perseverance, and work through it step by step. :smile:

I've been working on it and here Is what I've got so far... not really sure any of it is correct though. (Sorry its so big, can't/ don't know how to resize it)
dWKCs6D.jpg

I don't really have an answer for much. I guess the power disapated in R1 and R2 but I'm pretty sure my current calculated running though R2 is wrong.

Any more guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello B. Vane,

You have the right idea up to a point.

In the first branch (the one that has the capacitor, inductor and resistor) things look pretty good up until the point where you calculate the current at time t = 0. It is not necessary to calculate the instantaneous current in the circuit. I think the problem as asking for the "average" power dissipated by each resistor, not the instantaneous.

Just use the rms current, when calculating the power.

In the second branch (the one that contains an inductor and resistor), again, use the rms current, rather than the peak current, when calculating average power.

As collinsmark said, when you use ##Power=I^2R## that formula needs the RMS voltage.

For (b) you have to repeat the calculations, this time retaining ##\omega## in the reactances because you'll end up solving for that value of ##\omega## that makes the resistors' powers equal.

1. What is an RCL circuit?

An RCL circuit is an electrical circuit that is composed of a resistor (R), a capacitor (C), and an inductor (L). These three components are connected in a series or parallel configuration and can exhibit a variety of behaviors, such as oscillations, filtering, and energy storage.

2. How does a resistor affect an RCL circuit?

A resistor in an RCL circuit limits the flow of current and dissipates energy in the form of heat. This can affect the overall behavior of the circuit, such as the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, and the rate at which energy is stored and released.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in an RCL circuit?

A capacitor in an RCL circuit stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It can act as a temporary energy source or sink, depending on the current flow in the circuit. The capacitance of the capacitor also affects the frequency response of the circuit.

4. How does an inductor contribute to an RCL circuit?

An inductor in an RCL circuit stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It resists changes in current flow and can act as a temporary energy source or sink. The inductance of the inductor also affects the frequency response of the circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of RCL circuits?

RCL circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including radio and TV receivers, filters, oscillators, and power supplies. They are also used in electrical power transmission systems to regulate voltage and current, and in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones.