Re-exciting organic scintillator

In summary, the book "nuclear physics" by John Lilley discusses the release of photon energy in the form of re-excitation. It mentions that in most cases, the resulting photon energy is not sufficient for re-excitation, except in one case where the electron in S10 can release enough energy to cause re-excitation to S00. This is a rare process as S00 is usually filled. The book also mentions that transitions to higher energy levels require even higher levels of energy for re-excitation, which is a very rare occurrence. The book suggests that fluorescence photons emitted during decay to S00 may have sufficient energy for re-excitation. However, the exact case referred to by the book is unclear and may depend on temperature.
rphys
I've attached an image from the book "nuclear physics" by John Lilley.

It says "in only one case is the restulting photon energy sufficient to cause re-excitation". My question is what is this one case? I recall my lecturer saying only decay to S01 is sufficient to cause re-excitation, but I can't find any evidence for this.

Thanks for any help

2nkklc1.jpg

Attachments

• 2nkklc1.jpg
    2nkklc1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Most electrons are in S00, they need an energy of at least S10-S00 to be excited. There is only one way an electron in S10 can release that much energy: If it goes to S00. That is usually filled so it is a rare process. You can also have S10->S01 but then you need an electron in S01 to get excited. Transitions to down higher energy levels need even higher energy levels of electrons for re-excitations but they are getting really rare.

Likes rphys
mfb said:
Most electrons are in S00, they need an energy of at least S10-S00 to be excited. There is only one way an electron in S10 can release that much energy: If it goes to S00. That is usually filled so it is a rare process. You can also have S10->S01 but then you need an electron in S01 to get excited. Transitions to down higher energy levels need even higher energy levels of electrons for re-excitations but they are getting really rare.

So would you say the book is referring to fluorescence photons emitted during decay to S00 as being the ones with sufficient energy to cause re-excitation? I am tempted to repeat what the book has said (only one case) and keep it vague because I am not sure about this.

rphys said:
So would you say the book is referring to fluorescence photons emitted during decay to S00 as being the ones with sufficient energy to cause re-excitation?
That's how I would interpret the statement of the book. It depends on the temperature as well but you'll have empty S0x states accessible at every reasonable temperature.

Likes rphys

What is a re-exciting organic scintillator?

A re-exciting organic scintillator is a type of material used in radiation detectors. It is made up of organic molecules that emit light when they are exposed to ionizing radiation, such as alpha or beta particles.

How does a re-exciting organic scintillator work?

When ionizing radiation interacts with the organic molecules in the scintillator, it causes them to become excited. As the molecules return to their ground state, they release the excess energy in the form of light, which can be detected and measured.

What are the advantages of using a re-exciting organic scintillator?

Re-exciting organic scintillators have a high sensitivity to radiation, making them useful for detecting low levels of radiation. They also have a fast response time and can be easily shaped into various forms, making them versatile for different types of detectors.

What are the applications of re-exciting organic scintillators?

Re-exciting organic scintillators are commonly used in radiation detectors for medical imaging, nuclear power plants, and environmental monitoring. They can also be used in high-energy physics experiments and in the detection of rare events, such as neutrinos.

Are there any limitations to using re-exciting organic scintillators?

While re-exciting organic scintillators have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They can be sensitive to temperature and humidity, which can affect their performance. They also have a limited range of detection for certain types of radiation, such as gamma rays.