Re: Physics Homework Help, Please

In summary, the question involves an unmarked police car traveling at a constant speed of 80km/h being passed by a speeder traveling at 135km/h. After 3.00s, the police car accelerates at a rate of 1.50m/s2. The problem asks for the amount of time it takes for the police car to catch up to the speeder, assuming both cars maintain constant speed. The solution involves setting the position of the police car and the time at which the speeder passes it as 0, and then using equations for the distance traveled by each car to find the time when their distances are equal.
DrAnteater

Homework Statement

An unmarked police car traveling a constant 80km/h is passed by a speeder traveling 135km/h.

Precisely 3.00s after the speeder passes, the police officer steps on the accelerator; if the police car's acceleration is 1.50m/s2 , how much time passes before the police car overtakes the speeder after the speeder passes (assumed moving at constant speed)?

~I would sincerely appreciate help with this question. It's the only problem I'm having a difficult time understanding.

The attempt at a solution

I keep getting stuck at: 37.5t = 66.66 +22.22t - 66.66 + 1/2a(t-3)^2
Not sure if I'm even approaching it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrAnteater said:

Homework Statement

An unmarked police car traveling a constant 80km/h is passed by a speeder traveling 135km/h.

Precisely 3.00s after the speeder passes, the police officer steps on the accelerator; if the police car's acceleration is 1.50m/s2 , how much time passes before the police car overtakes the speeder after the speeder passes (assumed moving at constant speed)?

~I would sincerely appreciate help with this question. It's the only problem I'm having a difficult time understanding.

The attempt at a solution

I keep getting stuck at: 37.5t = 66.66 +22.22t - 66.66 + 1/2a(t-3)^2
Not sure if I'm even approaching it right.

Let's just set the position of the police car when the speeder passes it as ##x = 0##, and the time at which this happens ##t = 0##. So if we're looking for the time at which the police car catches up to the speeder, we're looking for the time when the distance traveled by each car is equal, right? So what are the equations for the distance traveled by each car?

1. What is the best way to approach physics homework?

The best way to approach physics homework is to first read and understand the problem, then break it down into smaller steps. It is important to review any relevant equations and concepts before attempting to solve the problem. If you are still unsure, don't be afraid to ask for help from your instructor or peers.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

Improving your understanding of physics concepts can be achieved through consistent practice and active learning. This includes working through problems, participating in class discussions, and seeking clarification when needed. It can also be helpful to connect physics concepts to real-world examples to make them more relatable.

3. What resources are available for physics homework help?

There are several resources available for physics homework help, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Your instructor may also have office hours or offer additional help sessions. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask questions and get assistance from other students and professionals.

4. How can I avoid common mistakes when solving physics problems?

To avoid common mistakes when solving physics problems, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, use proper units and significant figures, and double check your calculations. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create a plan before attempting to solve the problem to ensure you are on the right track.

5. How can I stay motivated when working on physics homework?

Staying motivated when working on physics homework can be challenging, but it is important to remember the ultimate goal of understanding the subject. Break the homework into smaller, manageable chunks and reward yourself after completing each section. It can also be helpful to study with a friend or in a group to stay motivated and on track.