Reaching the Moon in 0.9 Seconds: A Physics Challenge

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in relation to traveling to the moon in a shorter amount of time than the speed of light. The question is raised about what formula to use, and the attempt at solving the problem leads to a result of v = 130766968.3 m/s, which is smaller than the speed of light. The conversation also clarifies that the answer should be smaller than the speed of light due to the statement that "nothing travels faster than light."
iPhysics

Homework Statement

Nothing travels faster than light, which manages to get to the moon from the Earth in 1 second. However, we can still get there in a shorter amount of time. How fast would we have to travel to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds?

Homework Equations

I know the question is weird but it's in my textbook. I'm confused to what formula to use, I was thinking perhaps the formula for time dilation? t= t0/sqroot of (1-v^2/c^2) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I put 0.9 as t0 and t = 1 and calculated v, but my answer is smaller than the speed of light, and shouldn't it be larger since the question states that we get to the moon in a shorter amount of time? I'm not even sure if I'm doing this correctly because it's in the advanced section of my book. Any kind of help would mean a lot to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which grade are you studying?

No, the problem told you that "nothing travels faster than light" so the answer must be smaller than the speed of light. The point is that traveling slower than the speed of light, the time to the moon, relative to a person stationary with respect to the Earth and moon, would be larger than 1 second, but relative to a person moving, less than one second.

@adjacent I'm in 11th grade, which is almost the equivalent to sophomore year.

@HallsofIvy Oh I see. But is the formula correct? The answer I got after putting in the different values was v = 130766968,3 m/s, could that be correct? I'm sorry, physics isn't really my forte at the moment, especially the theory of relativity.

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the concept of time dilation and why your calculated velocity may be smaller than the speed of light.

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation occurs when an object moves at speeds close to the speed of light. This means that time appears to pass slower for the moving object compared to a stationary observer. In other words, the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object.

In this scenario, if we were to travel to the moon in 0.9 seconds, we would need to travel at a velocity close to the speed of light. This means that time would appear to pass slower for us, and therefore, 0.9 seconds for us would be equivalent to 1 second for a stationary observer on Earth.

The formula you have mentioned, t= t0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), is the correct formula for time dilation. However, it is important to note that this formula only applies to objects moving at constant velocities. In this scenario, we are not given a specific velocity, so it is not possible to calculate the exact speed required to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds.

Additionally, even if we were able to calculate the exact velocity, it is possible that it may be smaller than the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. It is not possible to travel at a speed faster than the speed of light.

In conclusion, the concept of time dilation explains why it is not possible to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds, as it would require us to travel at a velocity close to the speed of light. And even if we were able to achieve such a velocity, it would still be smaller than the speed of light. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your confusion.

1. How is it possible to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds?

The concept of reaching the moon in 0.9 seconds is purely hypothetical and not currently possible with our current technology. It would require a spaceship to travel at an incredibly high speed, close to the speed of light, which is currently not achievable.

2. What kind of physics principles would be involved in this challenge?

The principles of physics involved in this challenge would include Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of inertia and the law of universal gravitation. Other principles such as relativity and the concept of space-time would also play a role in understanding the challenge.

3. How would the human body cope with the extreme speeds required for this challenge?

At the speed required to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds, the human body would experience extreme gravitational forces and could not withstand the acceleration. It would likely result in serious injury or death.

4. Would it be possible to complete this challenge in a spacecraft?

As mentioned earlier, the technology required to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds does not currently exist. Even with advanced spacecraft technology, it is highly unlikely that this challenge could be achieved in the near future.

5. Are there any potential implications or consequences of achieving this challenge?

If it were possible to reach the moon in 0.9 seconds, it could have significant implications for space travel and exploration. It could potentially open up new possibilities for interstellar travel, but it would also come with ethical and safety considerations.