Reaction force acting at the wheels of cars when turning

In summary, the forces on the car in a turn are the weight of the car and the forces normal to the ground.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Suppose a car describing a circular trajectory of radius ##R##. Consider just a right and left wheel of the car, and suppose that the distance between the two of them is ##d##. What's the normal force acting on each of the wheels?

Then answer: these reactions are greater or weaker than the reactions of a static car
Relevant Equations
##F=ma##
Well, I considered the two wheels as two different bodies and I wrote Newton's equations for both of them
I considered the wheel closer to the centre of the circle, we have:
##\mu N_1 =mR\dot (\theta)##
So we can find ##N_1##

Doing the same thing, we can find ##N_2##
##\mu N_2 =m(R+d) \dot(\theta)##

Then, the more velocity, the more normal needed for the friction. So when it's static the normal are smaller.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\mu N## is the maximum friction force. Does not have to be the acting friction force.

BvU said:
##\mu N## is the maximum friction force. Does not have to be the acting friction force.
So what would it be the right way of calculating it?

It is not entirely clear, but I think the question is asking about forces on the wheels as bodies separate from the car and axles connecting them.
If so, "normal force" means the net normal force on a wheel, i.e. that component of the net force on the wheel which is parallel to the wheel's axis.
For this purpose, you do not need to separate out frictional force (which may anyway have a component in another direction).

Btw, what do you mean by ##R\dot(\theta)##? If you mean ##R\dot\theta##, what dimension should that have?

My interpretation of the question is that it is suggesting that you think about what prevents the car from tipping over.

You are not given enough information to compute a numeric answer. But you are not asked for a numeric answer.

jbriggs444 said:
My interpretation of the question is that it is suggesting that you think about what prevents the car from tipping over.

You are not given enough information to compute a numeric answer. But you are not asked for a numeric answer.
Yes, you are right - it is about the forces normal to the ground, i.e. vertical. In this context, merely specifying normal is ambiguous.

Like Tony Stark said:
So what would it be the right way of calculating it?
Start with a drawing: rear view of a car in a turn. Draw the forces and where they act, too

1. What is a reaction force?

A reaction force is a force that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the applied force. It is a consequence of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How does a reaction force act at the wheels of a car when turning?

When a car turns, the tires exert a lateral force on the road surface, causing the road surface to exert an equal and opposite reaction force on the tires. This reaction force helps the car to maintain its motion and change direction.

3. Are there different types of reaction forces acting at the wheels of a car when turning?

Yes, there are two types of reaction forces at play when a car turns: centripetal and centrifugal. Centripetal force acts towards the center of the turning circle and keeps the car moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force acts in the opposite direction and pulls the car away from the center of the circle.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the reaction force at the wheels when turning?

The magnitude of the reaction force at the wheels when turning depends on various factors, including the speed of the car, the weight and distribution of the car's mass, the friction between the tires and the road surface, and the sharpness of the turn.

5. How does the reaction force at the wheels affect the stability of a car when turning?

The reaction force at the wheels plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability of a car when turning. If the car is turning too sharply or too quickly, the reaction force may not be enough to counteract the centrifugal force and keep the car on its intended path, potentially leading to a loss of control and a potential accident.