Reactor Design and Kinetics of Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution of reaction kinetics into the mass conservation equation and the confusion surrounding the use of differentials in this process. It is revealed that in a flow reactor, the rate of consumption of a species is equal to the reactor volume times the reaction rate, not just the negative derivative of concentration with respect to time. The conversation recommends reading "Chemical Reaction Engineering" by Octave Levenspiel for further understanding.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

My problem deals with understanding why we substitute in the reaction kinetics equivalent into mass conservation equation instead of dealing with differentials

Homework Equations

From the conservation of mass law about an envelope:
$$\frac{dm}{d t} = \sum m_{in} - \sum m_{out} + Generation - Consumption$$

Assuming there is a consumption of some compound, then:
$$Consumption = -\frac{dc}{dt} = kC^n$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Why is that when we go to solve the mass balance equation, usually for the unknown concentration that varies with time (in this case for a complete mix reactor), we make the following substitution:

$$\frac{dm}{d t} = \sum m_{in} - \sum m_{out} - kVC^n$$

Why can't we do this:

$$\frac{dm}{d t} = \sum m_{in} - \sum m_{out} + -\frac{dc}{dt} \cdot V$$
$$ V \cdot \frac{dc}{dt} = \sum m_{in} - \sum m_{out} -\frac{dc}{dt} \cdot V$$

and then isolate for the differential terms, and integrate to get the final concentration??

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

1. check dimensions. In your first equation you don't have ##m_{\rm in}## but ##{dm_{\rm in}\over dt}## (usually written as ##\,\dot m_{\rm in}## ).
2. Consumption is not -dc/dt but dcV/dt -- as you use in your third equation
3. In your last equation you seem to take V as constant. It's not.

The problem is with this equation: $$Consumption = -\frac{dc}{dt} = kC^n$$
It is only valid for a batch reactor. I know it is often common to write down an expression like this, but it always struck me as just plain stupid when referring to flow reactor. So, in the case of a flow reactor, dc/dt is not equal to ##-kC^n##. In a flow reactor, the rate of consumption of a species is equal to the reactor volume times the reaction rate: ##VkC^n##.

Likes CivilSigma
Yes I agree @Chester.

Also, I forgot to state my assumption, sorry:

Assume that we are dealing with a CSTR ( complete mixing ) and that the volume of the tank is constant.

But, in the mass balance equation, why do we explicitly equate consumption to

$$-kVC^n$$

but not simply use
$$-V\cdot \frac{dc}{dt}$$

in the equation?

I know they are equal, but I have an urge to keep the differential form of consumption in the equation and solve it.

sakonpure6 said:
Yes I agree @Chester.

Also, I forgot to state my assumption, sorry:

Assume that we are dealing with a CSTR ( complete mixing ) and that the volume of the tank is constant.

But, in the mass balance equation, why do we explicitly equate consumption to

$$-kVC^n$$

but not simply use
$$-V\cdot \frac{dc}{dt}$$

in the equation?

I know they are equal, but I have an urge to keep the differential form of consumption in the equation and solve it.
In a cstr, they are not equal. Read my post again.

Likes CivilSigma
@Chestermiller, that's so weird, in my textbook, they say they are equal and transition from dc/dt to kC

Attachments

• 20170708_005319.jpg
    20170708_005319.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 349
sakonpure6 said:
@Chestermiller, that's so weird, in my textbook, they say they are equal and transition from dc/dt to kC
This is why, in my first post, I said that it is "just plain stupid." The author of your textbook (and many others in their textbooks) has done you a disservice by writing the equation in this way and confusing you. Unfortunately, this is not the only thing in textbooks that confuse students. Have you had a course in thermodynamics yet? Thermodynamics texts are chock full of confusing and incorrect statements.

Likes CivilSigma
Chestermiller said:
This is why, in my first post, I said that it is "just plain stupid." The author of your textbook (and many others in their textbooks) has done you a disservice by writing the equation in this way and confusing you. Unfortunately, this is not the only thing in textbooks that confuse students. Have you had a course in thermodynamics yet? Thermodynamics texts are chock full of confusing and incorrect statements.

Oh wow, I've been cheated :(. No , I will have not and am not required to take any thermodynamics courses (Civil Engineering Student). My original question arose from a Waste Water Process Engineering course I am currently taking.

Can you please recommend a reference that I can read to help learn about more this?

sakonpure6 said:
Oh wow, I've been cheated :(. No , I will have not and am not required to take any thermodynamics courses (Civil Engineering Student). My original question arose from a Waste Water Process Engineering course I am currently taking.

Can you please recommend a reference that I can read to help learn about more this?
I like Chemical Reaction Engineering by Octave Levenspiel. This book is available as a pdf on line. However, even Levenspiel makes this same boo boo with the time derivative. In his defense, he no longer continues to do this when he gets to sections of the book where he describes how to analyze CSTRs and plug flow reactors.

Likes CivilSigma
thanks

1. What is the purpose of reactor design in chemical reactions?

The purpose of reactor design is to optimize the production of desired products by controlling the conditions of the chemical reaction. This includes selecting the appropriate reactor type, size, and operating conditions to achieve the desired reaction kinetics and maximize product yield.

2. What factors influence the kinetics of a chemical reaction in a reactor?

The kinetics of a chemical reaction in a reactor can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, reactant concentrations, catalysts, and the presence of impurities. These factors can affect the rate of reaction, selectivity, and yield of products.

3. What are the different types of reactors used in chemical reactions?

The different types of reactors used in chemical reactions include batch reactors, continuous flow reactors, and semi-batch reactors. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of reactor depends on the specific reaction and desired outcome.

4. How does residence time affect the design of a reactor?

Residence time is the amount of time it takes for reactants to pass through a reactor. It plays a crucial role in reactor design as it determines the extent of reaction and product yield. A longer residence time may be needed for reactions with slower kinetics, while a shorter residence time may be preferred for reactions with fast kinetics.

5. How can reactor design be optimized for better reaction performance?

Reactor design can be optimized for better reaction performance by adjusting the operating conditions such as temperature, pressure, and reactant concentrations, as well as choosing the most suitable reactor type. Computer simulations and experimental data can also be used to fine-tune the reactor design for improved reaction kinetics and product yield.