Readily-available radioisotope heat source for a Stirling engine?

In summary: Furthermore, the radiation emitted from these types of sources can be harmful if not properly shielded.
davesisk
Hi folks...I'm new here, please go easy on me, it's been quite a long time since college physics! :-)

I need a feasible and readily available heat source for a Stirling cycle engine. (It's a type of engine that runs off of hot air...google it and you'll see plenty of examples.) Is there a readily-available radioisotope that might work well as a heat source?

I know that tritium is readily-available and low-energy enough to not pose any serious risks (as I understand it). You can buy tritium based key-chain lights that glow for 12 years or so off Ebay...LOL. I've read here that a metal container the size of a baseball filled with tritium would be noticeably warm. How much tritium would it take, and what metal would provide the most heat output? (I'd assume the metal container would need to be something drilled with lots of capillary-sized tunnels to create more surface area for the beta particles to collide with.) To work well and be capable of creating useable mechanical energy, a Stirling cycle engine needs something like a few hundred degree temperature differential. You most frequently see practical models run off of propane burners, etc, so it would have to produce the heat output roughly equivalent to that.

If tritium isn't a good choice, what other radioisotopes might fit the bill? It would have to be legal and not tightly controlled in the USA. I know bananas allegedly have a high content of radioactive potassium, but I don't know of any source of that radioisotope mined from bananas...LOL.

Just curious if this idea is even remotely feasible. Please post your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody is going to sell you a source that puts out enough watts to run a heat engine. That's good, because you clearly don't have the expertise to do anything like this safely.

I've already stated that I don't have all of the necessary knowledge...I'm here to learn. That's why I'm asking the question on this forum.

Thanks,
Dave

And like Ben said, nobody will sell you a source like that. So we're done here.

To elaborate a bit on "nobody's going to sell you such a source"...

In order to buy a strong-enough source for your purposes legally, from a legitimate vendor, you need a license from state and/or federal regulatory authorities (assuming you're in the U.S.). Here in South Carolina, for example, the relevant agency is the state Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). You have to convince them that you have proper training in handling such sources, and that you have facilities to store them safely.

1. What is a radioisotope heat source?

A radioisotope heat source is a device that uses the heat generated from the decay of radioactive materials to produce energy. This energy can then be used to power various devices, such as a Stirling engine.

2. How does a radioisotope heat source work in a Stirling engine?

In a Stirling engine, the radioisotope heat source is placed in contact with a heat exchanger. As the radioactive material decays, it releases heat which is absorbed by the heat exchanger. The heat is then used to power the Stirling engine, which converts it into mechanical energy.

3. Is a radioisotope heat source safe?

Radioisotope heat sources are designed to be safe and have multiple layers of shielding to prevent any harmful radiation from escaping. They also have a long half-life, meaning they produce heat for a longer period of time, reducing the need for frequent replacements.

4. What are the advantages of using a radioisotope heat source in a Stirling engine?

One of the main advantages of using a radioisotope heat source in a Stirling engine is its reliability. Radioactive materials have a long lifespan and produce a consistent amount of heat, making them a reliable source of power. They also have a high energy density, meaning a small amount of material can produce a significant amount of energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using a radioisotope heat source for a Stirling engine?

One limitation of using a radioisotope heat source is the initial cost of obtaining the radioactive material and designing the heat source. There are also concerns about the disposal of the radioactive material once it has decayed to a point where it is no longer producing enough heat for the Stirling engine. Additionally, the use of radioisotope heat sources is highly regulated and requires special permits and safety precautions.