Reading a Book about Air Sustained Structures....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of air-filled structures and how they are affected by external forces such as wind and snow. The speaker is curious about the increase in pressure in these structures and how it is controlled by a "colander" to prevent sudden decreases in pressure. The expert summarizer suggests that the behavior of these structures is similar to that of a capacitor in an electrical circuit, with the pump power and volume capacity affecting the stability of the structure.
AlexVille
TL;DR Summary
I would like to have a question answered
As in constructions that consist of a membrane of some textile and are sustained by pressurized air bombs. A paragraph mentions that in the face of strong winds or snowfall the internal pressure rises... but i don´t understand exactly why is that. I´m just curious and would like to know.

pd. English is not my first language so if you see a mistake feel free to correct me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexVille said:
sustained by pressurized air bombs
I think you mean "air-filled cells".

If wind or snow or whatever exert a force on the structure, the cells get smaller, resulting in higher pressure. I think that's what is meant in what you're reading.

Kinda, yes. The book has two separate sections, one dealing with "air-sustained structures" and a different one for "air-cell structures". I would get why in a closed cell, with to membranes enclosing the air, it would increase pressure but the one i actually meant is the type of structure that presents only a single membrane stuck to the ground by poles or cables.

This kind of structure, well, it says that it needs a sort of "colander" to let excess air go so the pressure doesn't "suddenly decrease". I don´t understand how the pressure works in those cases. Why would filling a single membrane with air "suddenly decrease" the pressure inside it if it isn´t let out? Unless it's perfectly sealed to the ground the air would escape from under wouldn'´t it??

Also the winds and snowfalls would increase pressure on the membrane but if there is a "colander" wouldn'´t it mean that the pressure inside and outside would remain the same (as the structure is being virtually constant in being filled with air)

Edit. Sorry, i had a lot of spelling mistakes. That´s what I get for not using spellcheck, i guess.

I am trying to read 'between the lines' here anti would help if you were a bit more specific about the application. However, I am assuming that the structure you refer to could be a dome or a wing.
If you continually pump air into the structure and you have a built-in leak then the short term behaviour will be much the same as for a closed cell structure; changes in external forces could be too fast for any damping due to the holes to work. Slow changes of applied force would allow more deformation.
Analogies can be tiresome but the basics for an electrical analogue are not unlike the effect of a varying load on a Capacitor, charged through a source resistance. The source resistance Rs and load resistance Rl will affect the steady state (mean) and 'ripple' voltages on a reservoir Capacitor. The lower the source resistance (aka pump power), the less effect will Rl have on the mean volts and the greater the C, the less ripple / instantaneous change on the volts.
AlexVille said:
the structure is being virtually constant in being filled with air)
How "Virtually constant" will depend on the 'C and Rs' or pump power and volume capacity.

1. What are air sustained structures?

Air sustained structures are man-made structures that are supported and stabilized by air pressure. They are designed to be lightweight, flexible, and able to withstand various environmental conditions. Examples include inflatable buildings, air-supported domes, and air-supported bridges.

2. What is the purpose of reading a book about air sustained structures?

Reading a book about air sustained structures can provide you with a deeper understanding of the design, construction, and applications of these unique structures. It can also help you learn about the principles of aerodynamics and how they are utilized in these structures.

3. What are some advantages of air sustained structures?

Some advantages of air sustained structures include their lightweight and flexible nature, which allows for easy transportation and assembly. They also have a low environmental impact and can be quickly and easily inflated and deflated. Additionally, they can withstand high wind and seismic loads.

4. Are there any limitations to air sustained structures?

Yes, there are some limitations to air sustained structures. They are not suitable for permanent structures and may require regular maintenance and monitoring of air pressure. They also have limited load-bearing capacity and may not be able to support heavy equipment or machinery.

5. How are air sustained structures designed and constructed?

Air sustained structures are designed using computer-aided design (CAD) software and are constructed using specialized materials such as PVC or TPU coated fabrics. The structure is then inflated using high-pressure blowers and anchored to the ground for stability. The design and construction process may vary depending on the specific type and purpose of the structure.