Reading in dim light bad for eye

In summary, the idea is that the speaker prefers to read in dim light due to suffering from migraines, but others around them claim it will harm their eyesight. The speaker wants evidence to debunk this belief and has found articles stating that reading in dim light does not have long-term effects on eyesight. They also mention that watching TV in the dark can cause damage to eyesight, but are unsure if reading has the same effect.
annoymage
here's the idea, i prefer to read in dim light because I'm suffering from migraine, but like 90% people around me keep telling that it will cause bad health in eye, but when i need the proves, they proofs nothing.

So, maybe, i need to debunk this "old wives tales", and need some evidence.

Well first,

i've read many article saying it will never make your eye sick for long term effect

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-nature/health-myths/reading-in-dim-light.htm

and i can't find any article proving that it will make your eye sick.

Biology news on Phys.org
Don't know about reading but watching T.V. in the dark for long periods will make serious damage to your sight. Wether reading instead of watching T.V. would have the same affect I cannot tell. This is from my own experience.

As a scientist, it is important to rely on evidence and facts rather than hearsay and old wives tales. While it is true that reading in dim light may cause eye strain and temporary discomfort, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that it will have long term negative effects on the eyes. In fact, studies have shown that reading in dim light does not cause any permanent damage to the eyes.

The idea that reading in dim light can cause harm to the eyes is a common myth that has been passed down for generations. However, modern research and studies have debunked this belief. In fact, reading in dim light may actually be beneficial for individuals who suffer from migraines, as it can help reduce the intensity of the headaches.

Furthermore, the myth that reading in dim light can harm the eyes may have originated from the fact that it can cause temporary eye strain and fatigue. This is because our eyes have to work harder to focus in low light conditions, leading to tiredness and discomfort. However, this is a temporary effect and does not cause any long term harm to the eyes.

In conclusion, as a scientist, it is important to rely on evidence and facts rather than hearsay and old wives tales. The idea that reading in dim light can cause harm to the eyes is a myth that has been debunked by modern research and studies. So, if reading in dim light helps with your migraines, there is no need to worry about any negative effects on your eyes.

Related to Reading in dim light bad for eye

1. Does reading in dim light actually damage your eyes?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that reading in dim light causes permanent damage to your eyes. However, it can cause temporary eye strain and fatigue.

2. Can reading in dim light lead to nearsightedness?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the claim that reading in dim light can cause nearsightedness. Nearsightedness is primarily caused by genetics and environmental factors such as prolonged use of electronic devices.

3. Is reading in dim light bad for children's eyes?

Similar to adults, there is no evidence to suggest that reading in dim light causes long-term damage to children's eyes. However, it is important for children to have proper lighting while reading to avoid eye strain and fatigue.

4. How does reading in dim light affect our vision?

Reading in dim light can cause eye strain and fatigue, as the eyes have to work harder to focus on the text. This can lead to temporary blurred vision and headaches. It is important to have adequate lighting while reading to avoid these symptoms.

5. Are there any benefits to reading in dim light?

There are no known benefits to reading in dim light. In fact, it can be detrimental to your eyes as it can cause eye strain and fatigue. It is recommended to have proper lighting while reading to avoid any negative effects on your vision.