Real formula for gamma(deformation) in torsion of a rod?

In summary, the formula for gamma in the chapter on torsion in Mechanics of Materials is given as \gamma=\rho\phi / L, but the question arises whether it should actually be sin(\gamma) = \rho\phi/L. This is due to the small angle approximation used in the formula, where sin(gamma) can be approximated as gamma for small angles. This is a good approximation as long as the length L is several times rho.
KalShaen
Okay, so I'm studying for a Mechanics of Materials final at the moment, and I am reviewing the chapter on torsion.
I was reading through the given formulae, and I stumbled across one that I could not fully visualize (or simplify): the formula for gamma.

Based on my understanding and from what I know from before, shouldn't the formula:

[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex] / L (for the deformation of a rod under torsion)

actualy be sin([itex]\gamma[/itex]) = [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex]/L ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we considering rho*phi to be the arc length of the end deformation, and considering that arc length to be the opposite side of the angle gamma in the pseudo-right triangle formed when the rod deforms?

I have come with two possible reasons for my confusion
1) The book is not using the sine function because the angle is very very small.
2) I am failing to realize what kind of geometric scenario is occurring between the angle gamma and the arc length rho*phi.

Please get back to me with a response as soon as possible so I can move on from being miserably confused! :P

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer is in your first possible reason. This is a small angle approximation, and actually, it is a very good approximation, provided the length L is several times rho.

Yes, nice observation, but as OldEngr63 pointed out, this is for small rotations. So sin(gamma) would approximately be gamma.

1. What is gamma (deformation) in torsion of a rod?

Gamma (deformation) is a measure of the angular deformation or twisting that occurs in a rod when it is subjected to torsion, or a twisting force.

2. How is gamma (deformation) calculated in torsion of a rod?

Gamma (deformation) can be calculated using the formula: gamma = (T * L)/(G * J), where T is the applied torque, L is the length of the rod, G is the shear modulus of the material, and J is the polar moment of inertia of the rod.

3. What is the significance of gamma (deformation) in torsion of a rod?

Gamma (deformation) is important because it determines the amount of torsional stress and strain experienced by the rod, which can affect its strength and structural integrity.

4. How does the material of the rod affect gamma (deformation) in torsion?

The shear modulus (G) and polar moment of inertia (J) in the formula for gamma (deformation) vary depending on the material of the rod. Materials with a higher shear modulus and polar moment of inertia will have a lower gamma (deformation) and therefore experience less torsional stress and strain.

5. Can gamma (deformation) be reduced in torsion of a rod?

Yes, gamma (deformation) can be reduced by using materials with higher shear modulus and polar moment of inertia, increasing the length of the rod, or decreasing the applied torque. Additionally, reinforcing the rod with additional materials can help reduce gamma (deformation) and increase its strength.