First natural frequency for bending, axial and torsion modes

In summary, the homework statement states that the first natural frequency for a mass-spring system is found by solving the equation Wn=sqrt(k/m). The axial and torsional modes can be determined by calculating the k values needed.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

We have a rod of length L fixed to a rigid support. At the end of the rod there is a mass, m. Assume that the rod has no mass. Find the first natural frequency for the bending, axial and torsion modes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm reviewing some stuff from my undergraduate degree as I will be taking night classes for my master's in systems and controls next year. I'm doing some very basic stuff but wowzie is it difficult to remember some of this stuff that I haven't seen since I graduated.

So let's take the first part, that I think that I remember. For bending you can set up the problem as

mx'' = kx - mg

This is of a familiar form and we can see that for a simple mass-spring system the natural frequency is

Wn=sqrt(k/m)

So for a 1 DOF system we have found the 1st natural frequency. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what they mean by the axial one. Would I simply assume that the rod is acting as a spring and that the mass m is pushing down on it?

And for the torsional one would I just adjust my k to be the torsional value, but where does the supposed torque come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:
For bending you can set up the problem as
mx'' = kx - mg
Sure, but the interesting part is the formula for determining k from the dimensions of the rod and the properties of the material.
Feodalherren said:
for the torsional one would I just adjust my k to be the torsional value,
This is a strange one to ask for a point mass on the end of a rod. There is no rotational inertia. Is that what you meant by no torque? Assume the mass has some moment of inertia and replace m with I. Again, the interesting part is the formula for k.
Feodalherren said:
not sure what they mean by the axial one.
That would be longitudinal vibration of the rod, like a spring.

Likes Feodalherren
Thanks. I know how to find the formulas for k, it's not a problem. I just wanted to make sure that I had the basic problem down. It's not really a point mass. I was just simplifying it to see if what I was doing was accurate.

The mass is an AISI 1005 steel ball with diameter of 8 mm. So it's just as simple as using the torsional k?

Bending k = EA/L
Axial load k = EA/L
Torsional k = πGD4 / 32L

Feodalherren said:
Bending k = EA/L
Not sure what EA is here. (I am not an engineer.) I am familiar with a formula like 3EI/L3.

Likes Feodalherren

1. What is the "first natural frequency" for bending, axial, and torsion modes?

The first natural frequency refers to the lowest frequency at which a structure can vibrate in a specific mode. In bending, it is the frequency at which a beam can bend back and forth. In axial modes, it is the frequency at which a column can compress and expand. In torsion modes, it is the frequency at which a structure can twist.

2. How is the first natural frequency calculated?

The first natural frequency for bending, axial, and torsion modes can be calculated using the equation f = (1/2π) * (k/m)^0.5, where f is the frequency, k is the stiffness of the structure, and m is the mass of the structure.

3. What factors affect the first natural frequency?

The first natural frequency is affected by the stiffness and mass of the structure. A higher stiffness will result in a higher natural frequency, while a higher mass will result in a lower natural frequency. Other factors such as material properties, boundary conditions, and geometry can also affect the first natural frequency.

4. Why is the first natural frequency important?

The first natural frequency is important because it determines the stability and strength of a structure. If the frequency of external forces matches the first natural frequency, it can cause resonance and lead to structural failure. It is also used in structural analysis and design to ensure the structure can withstand expected loads and vibrations.

5. How can the first natural frequency be controlled?

The first natural frequency can be controlled by adjusting the stiffness and mass of the structure. This can be achieved by changing the material, geometry, or boundary conditions. Damping can also be used to reduce the first natural frequency and prevent resonance. Structural modifications, such as adding braces or stiffeners, can also be effective in controlling the first natural frequency.