Real-Life Free Fall: Factors Affecting Rate of Descent

• Thread starter Good4you
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the main factors that contribute to free falling objects not falling at the same rate as expected in a vacuum are surface area, air resistance, and the location of the center of pressure relative to the center of mass. This can lead to objects rotating as they fall, but this can be mitigated by accounting for initial rotation and conducting the experiment in a vacuum.
Good4you
I was curious what some factors may contribute to free falling objects not falling at the same rate as would be expected in a vacuum. I remember from physics classes that two objects should fall at the same speed regardless of their weight. I know that surface area and air resistance plays a factor (like a feather vs a ball), but it doesn't seem to explain everything.

What i am mostly thinking of is a truck going off of a jump, it always nose dives. Surface area I wouldn't think would play a factor since vehicles are mostly uniform. One explanation i have heard is that the front goes off the jump first, and therefore begins falling first. However, when you watch this in real life it usually takes a long time for the front to nose dive, i would think it would nose dive much faster if it were just a matter of the front falling first.

Second example seems harder to explain and i don't know if i would believe it if i didn't just watch it on Mythbusters. They dropped a car from a crane and it nose dived. Then they corrected for weight making the front as heavy as the back. When they dropped the car with good weight distribution, it fell flat. Why should the weight make a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure but I'll try.

After experimenting (don't worry no car crashing) I think the difference originates from the fact that the crane as holding the car not above the mass centre and therefore the car started falling in an angle.

my experiment was as follows:
Take a pen (not Parker they tend to leak when they fall) and balence it between your tumb and index --> then drop it.
Now, put something heavy (you could stick a pencil into a rubber) on one side and drop it once afterhaving held it at the original mass centre and a second time after having held it at it's new mass centre.
What do you conclude?

Good4you said:
What i am mostly thinking of is a truck going off of a jump, it always nose dives. Surface area I wouldn't think would play a factor since vehicles are mostly uniform. One explanation i have heard is that the front goes off the jump first, and therefore begins falling first. However, when you watch this in real life it usually takes a long time for the front to nose dive, i would think it would nose dive much faster if it were just a matter of the front falling first.

A large portion of a vehicle's weight is concentrated in the engine. This means the center of mass is located near the front of the vehicle. The "mostly uniform" surface area results in a center of pressure close to the geometric center of the vehicle, which is behind the center of mass.

I suppose a car with a rear-mounted engine would go tail-first.

good input, but I'm still a little lost. let me rephrase:

If two objects are supposed to fall at the same rate in a vacuum regardless of their weight, then why would a falling object rotate due to the location of this center of gravity?

Good4you said:
good input, but I'm still a little lost. let me rephrase:

If two objects are supposed to fall at the same rate in a vacuum regardless of their weight, then why would a falling object rotate due to the location of this center of gravity?

This would be simply solved by dropping an asymmetrically-weighted object in a vacuum.

But there's one confounding factor that would have to be accounted for.

When an asymmetically-weighted object is first dropped, the heavier end will tend to pull away first from whatever is gripping it. This will impart an initial rotation. If this factor were accounted for (such as a quick release), I'll bet the rotation will be largely mitigated.

Then, if the experiment is repeated in a vacuum, I'll bet there will be no rotation at all.

So, IMO rotation is due to:
1] rotation imparted by release friction,
2] air resistance.

It just has to do with the location of the center of pressure with respect to the center of mass. If these two points do not coincide then a moment will be created and the object will rotate. If an asymmetrically weighted body is shaped so that the center of pressure and the center of mass are at the same point then there will be no moment and thus no rotation.

Related to Real-Life Free Fall: Factors Affecting Rate of Descent

1. What is free fall and how does it happen?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting upon it. It happens when an object is dropped or thrown from a certain height, and gravity pulls it towards the ground at an increasing speed.

2. What factors affect the rate of descent during free fall?

The rate of descent during free fall is primarily affected by two factors: the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational force. Objects with a greater mass will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore will fall faster. Additionally, the strength of the gravitational force varies depending on the location, so the rate of descent may differ at different locations on Earth.

3. How does air resistance impact free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the rate of descent during free fall. As an object falls, it encounters air molecules that push against it, slowing down its descent. The larger the surface area of the object, the greater the air resistance it will experience and the slower it will fall. This is why objects with a larger surface area, like a feather, fall at a slower rate than objects with a smaller surface area, like a rock.

4. Can the shape or size of an object affect its rate of descent during free fall?

Yes, the shape and size of an object can also impact its rate of descent during free fall. Objects with a streamlined shape, like a bullet, experience less air resistance and therefore fall faster than objects with a larger or irregular shape. The size of an object also affects its rate of descent, with larger objects experiencing a greater force of gravity and falling faster than smaller objects.

5. How can we calculate the rate of descent during free fall?

The rate of descent during free fall can be calculated using the equation: rate of descent = √(2 x weight / air density x cross-sectional area x drag coefficient). This equation takes into account the weight of the object, the density of the air, the object's cross-sectional area, and the drag coefficient, which is a measure of the object's shape. By plugging in the values for these variables, we can determine the rate of descent for an object in free fall.