Real-life Superhero Escapes Prosecution

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: Self-proclaimed Seattle superhero Phoenix Jones, a vigilante crime-fighter accused of assault, made his first court appearance on Thursday, but prosecutors have so far declined to charge him. According to reports, the 38-year-old Jones was arrested on Sunday after footage allegedly showed him assaulting a group of people outside a nightclub. In the video, which was later posted online, Jones can be seen yelling for people to call 911 as he wades into the crowd with a can of pepper spray.However, Fodor's supporters were initially angry that his real identity was exposed by media reports after his arrest. Speaking to reporters after his first court appearance on Thursday, Fodor said he felt confident that a 13-
FlexGunship
Gold Member
Reuters said:
Self-proclaimed Seattle superhero Phoenix Jones, a vigilante crime-fighter accused of assault, made his first court appearance on Thursday, but prosecutors have so far declined to charge him.
(Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/13/us-superhero-arrest-idUSTRE79B4DI20111013)

Apparently this guy dresses up, and true to the stereotype, fights crime!

Reuters said:
Fodor said he felt confident that a 13-minute video of Sunday's altercation, taken by a member of his entourage, proved him innocent of wrongdoing.

Police said Fodor assaulted a group of men and women as they were leaving a nightclub early on Sunday morning "dancing and having a good time" in the street.

The video, which was posted on the Internet, showed Fodor being alerted to what he believed to be a "huge fight," then rushing on foot toward a crowd yelling "call 911" and wading into the group with a can of pepper spray.

Hmm, obviously I need to see the video (can't watch it at work), but I can't imagine he just assaulted a group of people. Well, then again...

Reuters said:
Fodor and his supporters were initially angry that his real identity was exposed by media reports after his arrest.

Oh, geeze. He didn't even make it to the "evil nemesis" stage before being unmasked.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's sure not clear from the video a fight was going on:

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
It's sure not clear from the video a fight was going on:

You mean... this guy might be a whackjob?!

I saw what looked like fists being swung around 0:12, and maybe someone kicking someone 0:18, knocking the kicked person to the ground.

FlexGunship said:
I'm saying he might be the preacher from Footloose.

Good for him! If more joined him, we'd have less crime.

I wonder if he could actually be prosecuted under laws against vigilantism.

FlexGunship said:
:smile: He does seem to have an inordinate desire for attention.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I wonder if he could actually be prosecuted under laws against vigilantism.

Don't think so. A vigilante is someone who punishes another, and is illegal. Detaining or arresting a criminal then calling the cops isn't vigilantism. It's citizenship, and is legal to one extent or another in all 50 states. The key is: know the law, obey the law.

ThomasT said:
He does seem to have an inordinate desire for attention.

I don't agree. In fact, he focused his efforts on avoiding the spotlight. His desire appears to be quite simple: Being the eyes and ears for law enforcement when law enforcement can't always be there. Sometimes that means getting into a scuffle. Mostly, it's just placing a phone call.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoggerDan said:
Don't think so. A vigilante is someone who punishes another, and is illegal. Detaining or arresting a criminal then calling the cops isn't vigilantism. It's citizenship, and is legal to one extent or another in all 50 states. The key is: know the law, obey the law.

I know. By what I saw in the video he was not doing anything other than any normal citizen would be allowed to do under the same circumstances. He immediately started telling people to call 911. He apparently only used pepper spray which is a common nonlethal self defense weapon that anyone can use legally. Everything was spot on except that he was apparently actually out looking for crimes to stop. That is not exactly a legally defined right which makes me wonder if someone could indeed successfully prosecute him on it. If nothing else he could very easily be sued civilly but that isn't saying much.

I think he just watched the movie Kick-***... Not everything in movies is real kids.

I both admire him and fear for him. He's both brave and stupid. His physical prowess is not to be questioned if he is indeed a mixed martial arts contender. At some point, though, he is going to jump into a nest of people carrying TEC-9's, MAC-10's, and other nasty numbered objects.
As a side note, I know how much difficulty movie makers have in trying to accurately reproduce the appearance of a comic book hero on the screen. Chris Reeves had several different capes to be used in different circumstances such as flying, or standing, or running. The Spider-Man masks had plastic skulls inside to give the proper facial profile. Etc., etc..
Given that, I have to honestly admire this dude's costume. That is some high-end craftsmanship.

He should be put in jail.

He should just join police if he likes keeping his city safe.

rootX said:
He should be put in jail.

He should just join police if he likes keeping his city safe.

Actually, he seems better-intentioned and less dangerous to the public than the Guardian Angels who are (or were) officially sanctioned.

a 13-minute video of Sunday's altercation, taken by a member of his entourage

WHAT THE ? --- can't this guy get ANYTHING right. Superheroes don't HAVE entourages. They're the strong silent type.

phinds said:
WHAT THE ? --- can't this guy get ANYTHING right. Superheroes don't HAVE entourages. They're the strong silent type.

Let's not forget sidekicks, though. Maybe he just had his cloned and thus has a multitude of them.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Everything was spot on except that he was apparently actually out looking for crimes to stop.

Why would that be a bad thing? It's what I and millions (billions, counting our planet) do all the time).

That is not exactly a legally defined right...

Reporting and stopping crimes are always legally correct.

which makes me wonder if someone could indeed successfully prosecute him on it. If nothing else he could very easily be sued civilly but that isn't saying much.

Perhaps. Good luck on successfully suing someone for doing the right thing, particularly when tens of thousands would show up in his defence.

What is considered a "real-life superhero"?

A real-life superhero is an individual who actively takes on the role of a superhero in their community. This can include patrolling the streets, helping those in need, and promoting positive values.

Why would a real-life superhero need to escape prosecution?

Real-life superheroes may engage in activities that could be considered vigilantism or breaking the law, such as confronting criminals or using excessive force. Therefore, they may face legal consequences and need to "escape prosecution" to avoid being charged.

How do real-life superheroes typically escape prosecution?

Real-life superheroes may use various strategies to avoid being prosecuted, such as working closely with law enforcement, following legal guidelines, and having a strong understanding of their rights and the law.

What are the potential risks of being a real-life superhero?

The risks of being a real-life superhero include physical harm, legal consequences, and negative public perception. There is also the potential for misunderstandings and conflicts with law enforcement.

Are there any real-life superheroes who have successfully escaped prosecution?

Yes, there have been cases where real-life superheroes have been able to avoid prosecution and continue their activities. However, it is important to note that every situation is unique and results may vary.