Real time analysis of mains frequency

I'm looking for something that I can simply plug into the mains and get a digital output.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a way to measure mains frequency in real-time and pass the data through a high-level programming language, with a preference for Python. The individual is unsure of where to start and has considered commercial options, but they are too expensive. They ask for advice on a budget-friendly solution and are directed towards DIY options using small computers or turnkey USB devices. The individual also considers contacting a group with expertise in real-time frequency analysis. The conversation concludes with suggestions for using a multimeter or building circuits with a microcontroller to measure frequency. The individual expresses interest in a plug-and-play option for measuring frequency.
Michael Campbell
All,
I could use some help. I would like to measure mains frequency in real-time and pass the data through a high-level programming language (preference of Python).

I am not sure where to start with this project, I assume commercial mains frequency analyzer exist, however, my google searches have only found highly engineered units like this:
http://www.arbiter.com/catalog/product/model-1133a-power-sentinel.php .

Which I'm sure is a great piece of kit, but when you have to ask for the price you probably can't afford it.

Has anyone solved this problem before, on a tight budget?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

If you have a small computer, say Arundino or Rasberry PI, and if you are able to make your own circuits, it is easy. All you need to do is to measure the time between zero crossings.

Or do you have a PC or Mac and are looking for a turnkey USB device?

Thanks.
I have considered a DIY solution, but I don't have any experience in building hardware solutions (only software). And with limited time available I would prefer to buy a unit built by experts, which I could interface to a PC, Mac etc.

In that case, a modern multimeter might be best. A quick search on Amazon found this one which claims USB and bluetooth connections to your phone or computer, and it has a Hertz scale. I've never used such a device, but you could research it.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGKR9FA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is this a professional / commercial installation. What accuracy is needed? Mains frequency typically varies by only small amounts so a specially built meter is needed.

jim hardy said:
Why not contact these folks and see how they do it ?
Their real time displays of frequency and phase are fascinating.

http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/anglecontour.html

Tennesseans are naturally friendly .
Thanks, ill send them an email.

Windadct said:
Is this a professional / commercial installation. What accuracy is needed? Mains frequency typically varies by only small amounts so a specially built meter is needed.

NEW
Yes, this would be a non-professional installation, but the requirement is for high accuracy/sampling. The end goal is the development of signal processing algorithms.

anorlunda said:
In that case, a modern multimeter might be best. A quick search on Amazon found this one which claims USB and bluetooth connections to your phone or computer, and it has a Hertz scale. I've never used such a device, but you could research it.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGKR9FA/?tag=pfamazon01-20
That could be a quick win. I'll certainly investigate the multimeters.

Before you start, you have to decide what accuracy of f measurement you need. There are many cheap counters with good crystal oscillator references in them. It could simply involve hooking one of those up with a data link to your PC.

Michael Campbell said:
NEW
Yes, this would be a non-professional installation, but the requirement is for high accuracy/sampling. The end goal is the development of signal processing algorithms.
As anorlunda said, you can build some circuits and use them with a microcontroller like arduino.

You can measure the time delay between successive zero crossings and get the frequency directly.

Or you can use a voltage to frequency converter IC (look up LM331) and feed its output to the microcontroller.

You can also use FFT, but I don't know much about that.

Would something like this work?
freqmeter.jpg

cnh1995 said:
As anorlunda said, you can build some circuits and use them with a microcontroller like arduino.

You can measure the time delay between successive zero crossings and get the frequency directly.

Or you can use a voltage to frequency converter IC (look up LM331) and feed its output to the microcontroller.

You can also use FFT, but I don't know much about that.
Yes, I wish I had the time/skills to build a frequency monitor.

What is real time analysis of mains frequency?

Real time analysis of mains frequency is the process of continuously monitoring and measuring the frequency of the alternating current (AC) power supply in an electrical system. This allows for the detection and analysis of any fluctuations or abnormalities in the mains frequency, which can impact the performance and stability of electronic devices.

Why is real time analysis of mains frequency important?

Real time analysis of mains frequency is important because it helps to ensure the proper functioning and reliability of electrical systems. Fluctuations in mains frequency can cause issues such as equipment malfunction, data loss, and damage to sensitive electronics. By monitoring the mains frequency in real time, potential problems can be identified and addressed before they become more serious.

How is real time analysis of mains frequency conducted?

Real time analysis of mains frequency is typically conducted using specialized equipment, such as frequency meters or power quality analyzers. These devices are connected to the electrical system and continuously measure the frequency of the AC power supply. The data is then analyzed and displayed in real time, allowing for immediate detection of any abnormalities.

What factors can affect the mains frequency?

The mains frequency can be affected by a variety of factors, including the demand for electricity, the type and condition of the electrical infrastructure, and external events such as lightning strikes. In some cases, extreme weather conditions or power outages can also impact the mains frequency.

How can real time analysis of mains frequency benefit industries?

Real time analysis of mains frequency can provide numerous benefits to industries that rely on stable and reliable power supply, such as manufacturing, telecommunications, and healthcare. By monitoring the mains frequency, these industries can proactively identify and address any issues that could potentially disrupt their operations, thus increasing efficiency and reducing downtime.