Real World Physics and my Wheels

In summary: There would be no net change in position because the wheel has already been moved to the correct position. However, if you were to remove the spacer, then the wheel would move back to the negative offset and the car would be in a worse position than before.
cDuck28Z
Good evening,

First Post here on PhysicsForums! I'm building myself a 1939 Chevy HotRod and have encountered a slight problem with my build. I'm trying to find a wheel that will fit my project, but the problem is that they don't make it! There are numerous forums online with people both for and against wheel spacers, but I want to know the physics behind these little devices. The concept is simple: add a spacer between your wheel hub and the mounting surface of your wheel.

I'm trying to figure out if there is actually any difference in force on my lug studs (green) between having a -47mm offset or a 0 or +10mm offset. On one hand, I look at it an think 'Of course there's going to be more force, the wheel is so much further away from the hub'. On the other hand however, all of the forces of the vehicle, both while at rest and while driving, are located in the exact same location in all three scenarios. So would there actually be a difference?!

Please note, my diagram is off just a bit with regards to the lug studs. The holes are offset (see example image below) so there is more than enough metal to transfer the force of the vehicle.

PS. My hotrod will weigh an estimated 1400kg with aprox 850kg over the front wheels. Aprox 1.37m track (center point to center point of front tires) and 2.84m wheelbase.

Wheel Spacer Example.jpg
Wheel Spacer Diagram.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
There is s difference, it means the components are more prone to fatigue.
Generally you need to keep a closer eye on them than normal.

By spacing the wheel out you are creating more leverage against the suspension components, and therefore, applying more torque to them. suspension components apply a proportionally greater torque holding the wheel down against the ground, so the net force on the car remains the same, but the component forces that add up to that net force are greater, thus, the wear on the components is greater.

I doubt this will be of much concern on a hot-rod that is likely to be a fair weather weekend cruiser. You can tolerate a little sloppier engineering on a car that sees 1000 miles a year then a daily driver that sees 10,000 miles a year.

mrspeedybob said:
By spacing the wheel out you are creating more leverage against the suspension components, and therefore, applying more torque to them.

The centerline wheel is in the exact same position in every scenario. No part of the system is moving at all. The only change is that the offset that would be comprised of the negative offset of the wheel is replaced with a spacer filling the void and adapting the wheel to the positive offset creating a net 0 change in position. So how would this effect the entire system as a whole?

Last edited:
cDuck28Z said:
The centerline wheel is in the exact same position in every scenario. No part of the system is moving at all. The only change is that the offset that would be comprised of the negative offset of the wheel is replaced with a spacer filling the void and adapting the wheel to the positive offset creating a net 0 change in position. So how would this effect the entire system as a whole?

Ok, I mis-understood the scenario. In that case, you are right.

1. How do wheels help objects move in the real world?

Wheels reduce the friction between an object and the ground, making it easier to move. They also allow the object to roll, rather than slide, which requires less force.

2. How does the weight of an object affect its motion with wheels?

The weight of an object affects the amount of force needed to move it, but it does not affect the motion once it is in motion. However, heavier objects may require more force to initially start moving.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction when it comes to wheels?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to start an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. Wheels reduce both types of friction, making it easier to start and maintain motion.

4. How does the shape of a wheel affect its performance?

The shape of a wheel can greatly affect its performance. For example, a larger wheel will typically roll more easily over rough terrain, while a smaller wheel may provide more control and agility in tight spaces.

5. Can wheels ever stop moving?

In the absence of external forces, a wheel will continue to move forever due to its inertia. However, friction and other forces will eventually slow it down and bring it to a stop.