Realistic Combat Strategies in Film

• Thread starter GladScientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: Requiem for a Dream is realistic and has good music. It should satisfy your conditions for main characters. Very depressing. No combat though.
GladScientist
I have a silly habit of dissecting events in movies way too much. I just can't stand that in every movie I watch, the protagonist is pitted against all odds, and then comes out on top because... the protagonist has to win? Or the good guy stands in the plainest possible view of enemy fire and shoots his guns hoping that nothing hits him, and surely nothing ever does.

Can anyone recommend some movies where you can see some strategic depth being played out, rather than just a predictable cop-out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only one I can think of is Chinatown. The protagonist gets his nose cut by a thug within the first half hour and spends the rest of the film with a big bandage on it. He's also more or less ultimately defeated. Despite that, it succeeds in being a powerful, engrossing movie.

Bruce Willis seems to get the crap beaten out of him quite a bit in his action movies while ultimately prevailing. Still, if they were realistic, he'd have been killed, not just distressed.

GladScientist said:
I have a silly habit of dissecting events in movies way too much. I just can't stand that in every movie I watch, the protagonist is pitted against all odds, and then comes out on top because... the protagonist has to win? Or the good guy stands in the plainest possible view of enemy fire and shoots his guns hoping that nothing hits him, and surely nothing ever does.

Can anyone recommend some movies where you can see some strategic depth being played out, rather than just a predictable cop-out?

Realism in Movies. What a concept.

This is realism, endless hours of waiting that stretch into days, weeks, and months with moments of sheer terror. People doing anything to keep your sanity.

Apocalypse Now, that's realism.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.

WannabeNewton said:
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.
Give me a break. The cartoon character is nothing like the real Spongebob Squarepants. I think the combat scene in this movie short is a realistic depiction of how the actual confrontation would have played out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpBkc2jK-6w

Saving Private Ryan.

Requiem for a Dream is realistic and has good music. It should satisfy your conditions for main characters. Very depressing. No combat though.

Edit: Thanks for posting the bambii vs godzilla video. My dad saw that video in college and mentioned it at the dinner table. I sent him the link.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Give me a break. The cartoon character is nothing like the real Spongebob Squarepants. I think the combat scene in this movie short is a realistic depiction of how the actual confrontation would have played out.

I recently learned that Bambi was banned by the Nazis as anti-fascist.

russ_watters said:
Saving Private Ryan.

Great movie but way too much talking in the field.

1. What makes combat scenes in movies unrealistic?

There are several factors that contribute to unrealistic combat scenes in movies. These include exaggerated movements, lack of protective gear, and the use of special effects to enhance the action.

2. How can filmmakers make combat scenes more realistic?

Filmmakers can make combat scenes more realistic by consulting with military experts or trained fighters, using proper techniques and equipment, and incorporating elements of fatigue and fear into the action.

3. Are there any common mistakes made in depicting combat in movies?

Yes, there are several common mistakes made in depicting combat in movies. These include unrealistic reaction times, inaccurate weapon handling, and ignoring the effects of injuries on a person's ability to fight.

4. How important is accuracy in portraying combat in movies?

Accuracy is crucial in portraying combat in movies, as it adds credibility to the story and makes the action more believable for the audience. Inaccuracies can also be disrespectful to those who have experienced real combat.

5. Can combat scenes in movies ever be completely realistic?

While it is challenging to depict combat in movies without some level of artistic license, it is possible to make combat scenes more realistic by incorporating elements of real combat training and consulting with experts. However, it is important to remember that movies are ultimately a form of entertainment and may not always be completely realistic.