Really Simple PSPICE simulation, need somebody to double check me

In summary, The conversation is about a prelab assignment for an electronics laboratory course. The task is to simulate the I-V characteristics of a D1N4002 diode without a resistor in the circuit. The student is encountering a problem where the simulated results appear linear instead of exponentially increasing after the turn-on voltage. The person giving advice suggests trying a DC sweep from 0 to 0.8 volts in smaller increments to avoid losing the curve of the diode characteristic.
audifanatic51
Hi,

I am working on a prelab for my electronics laboratory course. It's really simple (or at least should be. Basically he wants us to simulate the I-V characteristics of a D1N4002 diode. There is no resistor in the circuit we are to simulate (basically we're shorting it if you consider the resistance of the diode negligible). The circuit is below:

29uvgjo.png

My problem is that whenever I simulate it, I get something that looks rather linear rather than exponentially increasing after the turn-on voltage like it should. I am doing a DC sweep from 0 to 5V with .1 increment and linear scale. No clue what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try sweeping from 0 to 0.8 volts and in steps of 0.01 volts.

The program will try to fit the data onto the graph and because the current gets enormous above 1 volt, the curve of the diode characteristic, as it turns on, gets lost.

Related to Really Simple PSPICE simulation, need somebody to double check me

1. What is PSPICE simulation and how is it used in scientific research?

PSPICE simulation is a software tool used in scientific research to model and analyze electronic circuits. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of circuits under different conditions and test the feasibility of their designs before building physical prototypes.

2. How do I run a PSPICE simulation?

To run a PSPICE simulation, you will need to create a schematic of your circuit using the software and specify the components, their values, and their connections. Then, you can set up the simulation parameters and run the simulation to generate results and analyze them.

3. What are the advantages of using PSPICE simulation in research?

PSPICE simulation offers several advantages for scientific research, including time and cost savings, the ability to test and refine designs before building physical prototypes, and the ability to easily modify and re-run simulations as needed.

4. How accurate are PSPICE simulations compared to real-world results?

PSPICE simulations are generally very accurate, but the results may vary depending on the accuracy of the circuit model and the simulation parameters used. It is important to carefully select and validate the models and parameters to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using PSPICE simulation?

One limitation of PSPICE simulation is that it relies on accurate circuit models and parameters, which may not always be available. Additionally, it may not be able to accurately simulate certain complex behaviors or interactions between components. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential errors when interpreting the results of a PSPICE simulation.