Rearrange equations to calculate the Xpu impedance

In summary: I am not sure what to do.In summary, the conversation is about finding the pu impedance of 100m of 3 single core 415V cables in trefoil, using a 1MVA base and neglecting the resistance of the cables. The equations provided are used to derive the equations for calculating the pu impedance and the fault MVA. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the pu impedance of the cables, which is then used to derive the equations for the two given questions. However, the person seeking help is unsure of how to proceed and is looking for guidance.
David J
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
Given the relationships:

##X pu =\frac{\text{MVA base}}{\text{MVA fault}}##

##=\frac{\text{MVA base}}{\text{MVA rated}}\frac{\text{X%}}{100}##

##\text{fault MVA}=\sqrt{3}\text{VIfault}##

##X\Omega=\frac{V}{\sqrt{3}}I fault##

Show that: -

(a) ##\text{fault MVA}=\frac{\text{MVA rated}}{V^2}##

(b) ##X pu=\frac{\text{MVA base}}{V^2}*X\Omega##

and hence calculate the pu impedance of 100 m of 3 single core 415 V cables in trefoil. Take the cable impedance to be 90 microhms per meter. Use a 1 MVA base. Neglect the resistance of the cables.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I do not fully understand these "show that" questions. I am given 4 equations to begin with and I believe I need to show how: -

##\text{fault MVA}=\frac{\text{MVA rated}}{V^2}##

and

##X pu=\frac{\text{MVA base}}{V^2}*X\Omega##

are derived from: -

Could someone please give me a clue as to how to go about solving this with perhaps a small clue as to where I should be concentrating first
[/B]
I have calculated the pu impedance of the cable to be: -

##X=100*90*10^{-6}=9*10^{-3}##

##X pu=9*10^{-3}*\frac{1}{(0.415)^{2}}=0.052257 pu##

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help with this please?

I will close this as my time has run out now. Its marked un solved but not solved.

Related to Rearrange equations to calculate the Xpu impedance

1. What is the purpose of rearranging equations to calculate Xpu impedance?

The purpose of rearranging equations to calculate Xpu impedance is to determine the reactance of a power system component, such as a transformer or transmission line. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and performance of the component in the power system.

2. How do you rearrange equations to calculate Xpu impedance?

To rearrange equations to calculate Xpu impedance, you must first identify the variables involved in the equation and their respective units. Then, using basic algebraic principles, you can manipulate the equation to isolate the Xpu impedance on one side of the equation. This may involve dividing or multiplying both sides by specific values or rearranging the equation in a different form.

3. What are the units of Xpu impedance?

Xpu impedance is typically measured in ohms (Ω). However, depending on the type of impedance being calculated, it can also be measured in ohms per unit (pu) or per unit of base impedance (Zb).

4. How is Xpu impedance used in power system analysis?

Xpu impedance is an important component in power system analysis as it helps determine the voltage and current distribution in the system. It is used to calculate voltage and current magnitudes, as well as to determine the impedance of different components in the power system. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of the system and making decisions for its operation and maintenance.

5. What are some common challenges in rearranging equations to calculate Xpu impedance?

Some common challenges in rearranging equations to calculate Xpu impedance include dealing with complex equations, understanding the underlying principles of the equation, and ensuring the units of measurement are consistent and accurate. It is also important to consider any assumptions or simplifications made in the original equation and how they may affect the final results.