Received power by a radiotelescope

• Thread starter RHK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the specific power received by a radiotelescope is determined by the integral of the product of the source's specific intensity, the effective area of the antenna, and the angular coordinates on the celestial sphere. For a radiotelescope operating at 3 GHz with an area of 1000 m2 and pointed towards Mars, which has an emission approximated by a black body at 210 K, the detected power in a band of 30 GHz can be calculated using the specific intensity equation for a black body. The angular diameter of Mars is calculated to be 25" or 0.417'. However, the exact solution to this exercise is not provided.
RHK

Homework Statement

The specific power received by a radiotelescope is given by:

[itex]P_\nu = A \int {I_\nu (θ,\phi) f (θ,\phi) dθ d\phi}[/itex]

where:
θ, [itex]\phi [/itex] are the angular coordinates on the celestial sphere around the pointing direction;
[itex]I_\nu [/itex] is the angular distribution of the specific intensity of the source (in units of W/m2 Hz std);
A f(θ, [itex]\phi [/itex]) is the effective area of the antenna in the direction (θ, [itex]\phi [/itex]).

The radiotelescope, operating at a frequency of 3 GHz, of area A= 1000 m2 and with f(θ, [itex]\phi [/itex])= 1 for θ0>θ and f(θ, [itex]\phi [/itex])= 0 for θ>θ0, with θ0=1.9 arcminutes, is pointed in the direction of Mars (distance from the Earth d= 56 x 106 km, diameter D= 6794 km), which has an emission approximated with a black body at T=210 K.
Calculate the detected power by the antenna in a band with Δ[itex]\nu[/itex]=30 GHz around the working frequency.

[The specific intensity of a black body is: [itex]\frac{2h}{c^2}\frac{\nu^3}{e^{h\nu/KT}-1}[/itex]
K=1.381 x 10-23 J/K
h = 6.6 x 10-34 J s ]

Homework Equations

The intensiy of a black body

The Attempt at a Solution

I can not go so far.
Just I have calculated the angular diameter of Mars: δ=arctan D/d = 25"=0.417'.

Any suggestion please?
I can not how to carry out the result, but I think that this is a particular educational exercise.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I have just a start please?

Related to Received power by a radiotelescope

1. What is received power in a radiotelescope?

Received power in a radiotelescope refers to the amount of electromagnetic radiation that is detected by the telescope's receiver. This power is measured in watts and is used to determine the strength of the signal being received from a source in space.

2. How is received power calculated in a radiotelescope?

The received power in a radiotelescope is calculated using the antenna gain, system temperature, and bandwidth of the receiver. The antenna gain is the measure of how much the telescope amplifies the signal, while the system temperature takes into account the noise and interference in the system. The bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that the telescope is sensitive to.

3. What factors can affect the received power in a radiotelescope?

The received power in a radiotelescope can be affected by various factors such as the distance to the source, the size and sensitivity of the telescope, and the frequency of the signal being received. Atmospheric conditions, interference from other sources, and the alignment and calibration of the telescope can also impact the received power.

4. How is received power used in radiotelescope observations?

Received power is a crucial factor in radiotelescope observations as it allows scientists to determine the strength of the signal being received from a source in space. This information can be used to study the properties of the source, such as its size, temperature, and composition. It also helps in creating images and maps of the source.

5. How can received power be improved in a radiotelescope?

To improve the received power in a radiotelescope, scientists can use larger and more sensitive antennas, reduce interference from other sources, and improve the calibration and alignment of the telescope. Additionally, using multiple telescopes in an array can also increase the received power and provide more accurate measurements.