Recently joined a free online chess website

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary: Suddenly playing online can be devastating. It doesn't matter how smart or talented you are if don't know the basic opening principles, mating patterns and endgame techniques.
MathJakob
I recently joined a free online chess website just out of bordem and I can't believe how amazing everyone is... So far I've played 10 games and only won 3. I'm losing against people with ~640 ranking, which must be low compared to a grandmasters 2800+

Every move I make, no matter how smart I think it is doesn't phase my apponent at all and he/she will counter it with an even better move, and I always make moves which either hinder my position or 3 moves down the line will be in a position where it will be lost.

I often find myself in situations where the apponent will move their piece into a position where he can take one of two peices and get out of it fine.

It's so frustrating to be bad at anything which requires a brain -_-

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget, a LOT of people on those sites are just bored teenagers with the latest Chessmaster/whatever program up letting the computer solve their game for them.

Many people on these sites have been playing for years, have received formal training, have played in tournaments etc.

You don't sound like you have too much experience in chess, suddenly playing online can be devastating. It doesn't matter how smart or talented you are if don't know the basic opening principles, mating patterns and endgame techniques.

If you want to improve at chess I suggest buy some good entry level books or get a trainer. Don't get a software/chess engine. After you get to a certain level like 1200 rating then you can improve on your own by playing online. Prefer to play on longer time controls like 15 minutes to improve. One minute chess is not real chess.

Also there are only two 2800+ grandmasters at present. They have probably been playing since the were five years old.

Hepth said:
Don't forget, a LOT of people on those sites are just bored teenagers with the latest Chessmaster/whatever program up letting the computer solve their game for them.

I don't agree. That depends on which site you play on. Trusted sites like chess.com actively detect and ban cheaters.

I actually recommend watching this streamer : http://www.twitch.tv/amazingoid

He plays a lot of blitz, 5 , 10 and 25 min chess and talks through his reasoning while playing. He also works through books and problem sets with people in the chatroom. Very fun to watch when he's streaming and is also educational. I think he's 2300ish in blitz, not sure about normal.

Hepth said:
I actually recommend watching this streamer : http://www.twitch.tv/amazingoid

He plays a lot of blitz, 5 , 10 and 25 min chess and talks through his reasoning while playing. He also works through books and problem sets with people in the chatroom. Very fun to watch when he's streaming and is also educational. I think he's 2300ish in blitz, not sure about normal.

That's pretty cool. I play sometimes on Chess.com, only have about a 1200 rating.

Chess is a skill, you need to learn it and PRACTICE. Most people who play casually will never get close to GM level, GMs have usually played their entire lives, it is after all their job.

Read books, watch videos (there are a lot of good videos on TY), and play against other people.

I do understand chess and all the rules but you're right as in I have no knowledge or training about good openings, check sequences ect. I don't expect to be great at the game, but I also don't expect everyone I play to be great lol

I figured out your problem in the first 3 words of your initial post. The people you were playing against, while having a low score, may have played a lot of matches. In losing they've learned quite a bit. They may not be great, but just having played a lot can give you some good strategies.

www.chesstempo.com

That is what will really teach you good chess. Opening theory and everything is important, but really to "get" chess is to do tactics. Finding good moves. They give you a position where there exists a definite strongest move. Whether it is to win material or to win the game. You must find these moves.

You need to play smarter, not harder.

You're not going to win much unless you learn how to play (not just the rules.. HOW to play) because most people that join a chess site join because they want to practice and with a lot of people after they've learned a little theory. They probably can immediately see which moves they need to make without calculating 3 or 4 moves ahead because they recognize the pattern, whereas you need to look as every piece and think really hard to decide whether the move is good or not.

You can just google "checkmating patterns" and see what I mean. When you see the pattern, you already know how it's going to happen, or when you see your opponent trying to set up a combination, you need to try your best to block it.

When I first started studying chess (using chess.com) I first learned how not to lose within the first few moves, then I started working on finding checkmates, and then on other small tactics. I'm not a great player, but I can beat any guy who "just knows the rules" and that's it. Now I'm improving my opening theory and general strategy.

A key thing in chess is pattern recognition.

There's a mate called Boden's Mate which I had in a tournament awhile ago. I had never seen it before. I missed it and ended up losing the game.

Boden's Mate is a specific type of checkmate that if you've never seen before is damn near impossible to find unless you're brilliant. It very often requires a very unnatural queen sacrifice, as it did in my game. I had the opportunity to do it, but I didn't find it.

From doing practice problems on Chesstempo, I've seen Boden's Mate like 50 times or something, and now I can spot it within 5 seconds usually. So I've gone from never in a million years being able to find this mate, to knowing it and being able to spot it almost instantly.

This is just one example, but it illustrates the point. From playing a lot, you get to learn patterns. Not only are you able to see these and use them on your opponents, you can see your opponent using them. When you see your opponent has the chance for a certain pattern, you can think of ways to stop the pattern. Where it gets really cool is when you can eliminate your opponent's threat and create one of your own. These moves are hard.

On a side note, you will not often be able to do a Boden's Mate. Boden's Mate and Smothered Mate are my favorite patterns, although they are rare. Always so satisfying.

However back rank checkmates, especially at an earlier level, are very common and are very deadly. Probably the most common blunder, along with knight forks.

1. What is a free online chess website?

A free online chess website is a platform that allows individuals to play the game of chess with other players from around the world. These websites are accessible through the internet and generally do not require any payment or subscription fees.

2. How do I join a free online chess website?

To join a free online chess website, you typically need to create an account by providing some basic information such as your name, email address, and a password. Some websites may also require you to verify your email address before you can start playing.

3. Is it safe to join a free online chess website?

Most free online chess websites are safe to join as they use encryption and other security measures to protect your personal information. However, it is always important to read the website's privacy policy and terms of service before joining.

4. Can I play against other players on a free online chess website?

Yes, one of the main features of a free online chess website is the ability to play against other players. These websites often have a matchmaking system that pairs you with opponents of similar skill levels.

5. Are there any benefits to joining a free online chess website?

Joining a free online chess website allows you to improve your chess skills by playing against a variety of opponents. It also provides a platform for connecting with other chess enthusiasts and participating in tournaments and other events.