Recombination time for ionized atoms in a low pressure gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the recombination time of a neutral gas when an electron passes through and ionizes only 1% of the gas atoms. The conversation also mentions the complexity of the physics involved and suggests looking into plasma physics books for more information. One participant also mentions using autostructure to calculate the transition probabilities of the states.
jasonpatel
I am looking into some new physics and had the following question come up:

You have a neutral gas of let's say, CO atoms at 1 nanoTorr. An electron(s) comes passing through the gas ionizing only 1% of the gas atoms. How long does it take for the gas to come back to neutrality? In other words, what is the recombination time? Any help or guidance of texts to read would be very helpful!
bqmh2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

This is an extremely complex algorithm. You can find some tables in plasma physics books. It depends on the pressure, the species and level of ionization, at the minimum.

Eric

Hi guys, thanks for the advice/response.

Yes, I can imagine that is a very complicated physics involved. I tried looking it up on google and it was pretty unsuccessful. Do you guys have anything you an refer (no matter how complex)?

I am trying to develope a simple understanding for this:

Find the mean free path between atoms. Find v_rms of the atoms. Then I can find the recombination time. The thing that complicates this a bit more is the fact that the mean free path is between ANY atoms not necessarily two atoms that will allow recombination (a neg. and pos. ion).

Any ideas? Corrections? Lol at this point anything will be appreciated!

I suspect the transition probabilities of the states will be involved somehow.
I'm still learning how to use autostructure, but I think it can help you calculate it.

elegysix said:
I suspect the transition probabilities of the states will be involved somehow.
I'm still learning how to use autostructure, but I think it can help you calculate it.

That would great, any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is recombination time for ionized atoms in a low pressure gas?

The recombination time for ionized atoms in a low pressure gas refers to the time it takes for an ionized atom to recombine with an electron and return to a neutral state.

Why is recombination time important in low pressure gas environments?

In low pressure gas environments, there is a higher chance for ionization to occur due to the lower number of gas particles. Recombination time is important because it affects the overall behavior and properties of the gas, such as its electrical conductivity and energy transfer capabilities.

How is recombination time calculated?

The recombination time for ionized atoms in a low pressure gas can be calculated using the formula: τ = 1/(αn), where τ is the recombination time, α is the recombination coefficient, and n is the number density of the gas.

What factors can affect the recombination time in a low pressure gas?

The recombination time can be affected by various factors such as gas pressure, temperature, and the presence of other gas particles. Higher pressure and temperature can increase the rate of recombination, while the presence of other gas particles can either enhance or inhibit recombination.

How can the recombination time be manipulated in low pressure gas systems?

The recombination time can be manipulated by adjusting the gas pressure and temperature, as well as by introducing other gas particles that can either enhance or inhibit recombination. Additionally, external factors such as electric and magnetic fields can also influence the recombination time in a low pressure gas.