Recommend some good maths textbooks?

• Thread starter FinancialWar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the individual is hoping to get into Macquarie University's B.Applied Finance and B.Actuary Studies program, which requires a High Distinction (85% or better) in Math135. To prepare for Math135, they are currently taking an easier math unit (Math130s). They only have one chance to achieve a High Distinction, otherwise they will miss out on the double degree. The university provides lecture notes, but they are outdated and disorganized. The individual is looking for a textbook recommendation to ensure they get a High Distinction in Math135. They are directed to check out a math textbook forum.
FinancialWar
I am hoping to getting into B.Applied Finance and B.Actuary Studies at Macquarie University, Australia's oldest Actuary program, in order for me to get into the program I must get a HD (High Distinction = 85% or better) in
http://maths.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/math135s.html, which is very hard for me, so right now I am taking taking a easier math unit http://maths.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/math130s.html, which should prepare me for the more challenging Math135.

I must get HD in Math135 and I only have one chance, if I get a Distinction (75% -84%), I will out on the double degree. (May be I can retake Math135 again, but I don't want to waste time and money.)

Macquarie does provide lecture notes for their various Maths units here, but they are old notes, disorganised, and have a lot of assumed knowledge.

I wonder if there is a textbook out there I should study that will ensure I get a HD in Math135.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Check out our math textbook forum!

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the top recommended math textbooks for high school students?

Some of the top recommended math textbooks for high school students include "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Richard G. Brown, "Geometry" by Ray C. Jurgensen, and "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Ross L. Finney.

2. Are there any math textbooks that are specifically geared towards visual learners?

Yes, "Mathematics for Visual Learners" by Mark Wahl is a great option for visual learners. It utilizes diagrams, illustrations, and visual aids to help students understand mathematical concepts.

3. Do you have any recommendations for math textbooks that cover a wide range of topics?

"The Art of Problem Solving" by Richard Rusczyk covers a wide range of topics from basic arithmetic to advanced topics like calculus and number theory. It is a highly recommended textbook for students interested in competition math.

4. What are some good math textbooks for self-study?

"Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning" by A. D. Aleksandrov, A. N. Kolmogorov, and M. A. Lavrent'ev is a comprehensive textbook that can be used for self-study. It covers a wide range of topics and provides clear explanations and examples.

5. Are there any free online math textbooks available?

Yes, "OpenStax" offers a collection of free and open-source math textbooks for various levels, including pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, and calculus. These textbooks can be accessed online or downloaded as PDFs.