What's a good first textbook on Quaternions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pre-requisite math subjects to study before delving into Quaternions, as well as recommendations for textbooks on the topic. A Primer of Quaternions by Arthur S. Hathaway is suggested, as well as Quaternion algebras by John Voight, which is available for free on Project Gutenberg. The latter is a graduate textbook but comes with positive reviews.
MathExplorer
Thanks to another thread I created, I already know what pre-requisite math subjects to study, and in what order to study them, before I'm ready to start studying Quaternions.

I'm just very curious about what specific textbook, would you folks on this forum recommend that I get to study Quaternions for the first time, when I'm finally ready for it?

Also, if you have a specific textbook suggestion on Quaternions, please give me the ISBN number of the book if you can. It'll enhance my ability to find the best deal on the internet for a copy of said textbook. :)

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks - also of interest to me.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a quaternion?

A quaternion is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of complex numbers into four dimensions. It is used to represent rotations in 3D space and has applications in computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

2. Why is it important to learn about quaternions?

Quaternions are important because they provide a more efficient way to represent and manipulate 3D rotations compared to other methods. They also have applications in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

3. What are some good first textbooks on quaternions?

Some popular textbooks on quaternions include "Quaternions and Rotation Sequences" by Jack B. Kuipers, "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" by Fletcher Dunn and Ian Parberry, and "A Primer on Quaternions and Rotation Sequences" by Stephen M. LaValle.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand quaternions?

While a basic understanding of linear algebra and complex numbers can be helpful, most introductory textbooks on quaternions assume no prior knowledge and provide clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concept.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of quaternions in real-world situations?

Quaternions have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They can be used to represent and manipulate 3D rotations in computer animations, control the orientation of objects in 3D space in robotics, and describe the orientation of a rigid body in physics simulations.