Recommendations for Books [HNC in mech eng]

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for book recommendations to help with their HNC in Mechanical Engineering. They are specifically looking for a book that breaks down formulas and explains them in simple terms. They also mention being open to recommendations for math and algebra books, preferably in English. Another person suggests the Openstax.org website for free math and physics books that may aid in understanding mechanical engineering.
eAir
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working toward a HNC in Mechanical Engineering and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books to help me out.

Ideally what I would like is something that actually breaks the formulas down to their components and explains everything in plain English. If there's a book that can do that i'll be able to pick it up much quicker.

If there's also anything similar for Maths and Algebra i'd gladly accept any recommendations.

I'm also located in England so English books would be preferred please.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For math books there’s the Openstax.org site with free books on Algebra and other topics. There’s also a book on physics that might help in your understanding of mechanical engineering too.

Hi Jedishrfu,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been looking at it over he weekend and it’s perfect

eAir

Likes jedishrfu

1. What are the top recommended books for HNC in Mechanical Engineering?

There are many great books that can help with your studies in HNC in Mechanical Engineering. Some top recommended titles include "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" by J.L. Meriam and L.G. Kraige, "Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, and "Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach" by Ansel C. Ugural and S.K. Fenster. It is also helpful to consult with your professors and peers for additional recommendations.

2. Are there any specific books that cover all the topics in HNC in Mechanical Engineering?

It is difficult to find one book that covers all the topics in HNC in Mechanical Engineering as it is a broad field of study. However, some comprehensive textbooks that cover a wide range of topics include "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, Howard N. Shapiro, Bruce R. Munson, and David P. DeWitt and "Mechanics of Materials" by Russell C. Hibbeler.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on exam preparation for HNC in Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, there are many books that are designed specifically for exam preparation in HNC in Mechanical Engineering. Some popular titles include "HNC Mechanical Engineering: Question Bank" by Andrew Haynes and Jeremy Smith and "HNC Mechanical Engineering: Exam Practice Workbook" by Andrew Haynes and Jeremy Smith. These books include practice questions and exams to help you prepare for your exams.

4. Are there any free online resources for HNC in Mechanical Engineering textbooks?

Yes, there are many free online resources for HNC in Mechanical Engineering textbooks. Some websites, like OpenStax and Bookboon, offer free downloadable textbooks for various subjects including mechanical engineering. You can also check your university's library website for e-books that you can access for free.

5. Is it necessary to purchase all the recommended books or can I get by with just a few?

It is not necessary to purchase all the recommended books, especially if you have access to a good library or online resources. It is recommended to at least have a few key textbooks that cover the main topics in your curriculum. You can also consider purchasing used books or renting them to save money. Ultimately, it is important to have access to resources that will help you understand and succeed in your studies.