Recovering Wavefunction in Periodic Ab Initio Calculations

In summary, In ab initio calculations for periodic systems, the wavefunction is only calculated for the irreducible K points using an irreducible K grid. To recover the wavefunction at other K points, the general expression for transformation can be used by considering the point group symmetry and applying the Bloch theorem. This can also be applied to spinors or other quantities such as local orbital density matrices by transforming the spinor/vector using a transformation matrix.
bsmile
In ab initio calculations for periodic systems, only an irreducible K grid is used for calculation, and consequently only those K points have their wavefunction calculated. My question is, how to recover wavefunction at other K points not included in the irreducible K grid? Similar questions to the density matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hear the term "irreducible K grid" for the first time.

Likes BvU
DrDu said:
I hear the term "irreducible K grid" for the first time.

sorry, I should be more careful towards my terms, it should be something like irreducible K wedge in the first Brillouin Zone.

Ah, I see.
I suppose you get the other wedges applying the elements of the point group of your crystal to the wavefunctions.
In fact, there is a very general theorem from group theory, the orbit-stabilizer theorem. If G is the full point group of your crystal and H is the little group of the point in K space, then a point in your K wedge will mapped to #G/#H points in total K space. "#" means here the number of elements of the group. E.g. the little group of the Gamma point is G, i.e. H=G, so the gamma point is invariant, while the little group of a general point, not coinciding with a special point is H=1, so there will be #G points formed from it.

Yes, I understand there is point group symmetry operation on how to related one K point to the other equivalent ones, but I don't know how to transform the eigen-wavefunction for (n,K) where n is band indices? I believe this could be done. A further question is, would the transformation depend on the choice of basis set, say planewave basis or atomic orbital basis set (say contracted Gaussian basis set)?

You can use the general expression for transformation for this. So if a point transforms as ##r'=Rr##, a function transforms as ##\psi'(r)=\psi(R^{-1}r)##. Use the Bloch theorem and the form of your wavefunctions to work out how they transform. E.g. ##exp(ik^TR^{-1} r)## can be written as ##exp(ik'^Tr) ## with ##k'=(k^TR^{-1})^T=Rk ##. Be careful here when direct and reciprocal lattice vectors are used.

DrDu said:
You can use the general expression for transformation for this. So if a point transforms as ##r'=Rr##, a function transforms as ##\psi'(r)=\psi(R^{-1}r)##. Use the Bloch theorem and the form of your wavefunctions to work out how they transform. E.g. ##exp(ik^TR^{-1} r)## can be written as ##exp(ik'^Tr) ## with ##k'=(k^TR^{-1})^T=Rk ##. Be careful here when direct and reciprocal lattice vectors are used.

Thanks, I understand here ##\psi## is a scalar, thus a geometric transformation does not change it, while dot product being a scalar is also not affected. What if ##\psi## is a spinor with its axis along discrete z direction while the target K has a direction arbitrary in space, or another quantity differing from wavefunction but carrying indices in angular momentum, say a local orbital density matrix ##\rho_{px,py}(K)##, to be transformed into arbitrary target K direction?

Then you have to transform the spinor/vector too: ##v'(r)=D_Rv(R^{-1}r)##. Where ##D_R## is a transformation matrix for the spinor/vector.

1. What is a periodic ab initio calculation?

A periodic ab initio calculation is a computational method used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of electrons in a crystalline solid. It takes into account the periodicity of the crystal lattice, allowing for a more accurate description of the electronic structure of the material.

2. Why is recovering the wavefunction important in periodic ab initio calculations?

The wavefunction is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the probability of finding an electron in a particular state. In periodic ab initio calculations, accurately recovering the wavefunction allows for a more precise understanding of the electronic properties of a material.

3. How is the wavefunction recovered in periodic ab initio calculations?

The wavefunction is typically recovered by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in a system. In periodic ab initio calculations, this is done using mathematical approximations and numerical techniques to simulate the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice.

4. What challenges are associated with recovering the wavefunction in periodic ab initio calculations?

One of the main challenges is accurately representing the crystal lattice and its periodicity in the computational model. This requires a large number of calculations and can be computationally expensive. Additionally, approximations and assumptions made in the model can affect the accuracy of the recovered wavefunction.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from recovering the wavefunction in periodic ab initio calculations?

The accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the computational model and the approximations used. In general, periodic ab initio calculations can provide highly accurate results, but they are limited by the complexity of the system being studied and the computational resources available.