Rectangular wave, extraction of ions from a stopping cell

In summary: Overall, the higher frequency allows for more efficient ion extraction at lower voltages. In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between using a sinusoidal and rectangular wave for the RF amplitude in a cryogenic stopping cell. The speaker is running simulations on a rectangular wave with a frequency of 1MHz and 3MHz and notes that the higher frequency requires a lower voltage for 100% transmission efficiency. The explanation is that the higher frequency allows for more efficient ion extraction due to its ability to be tuned to the resonance frequencies of the ions and its faster changes in electric field strength.
Cocoleia
Hello. I'm not sure if this question is to project-specific, but I will try to explain as best that I can.

I am working with a system such as this one, with only a few differences: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168583X1400706X
it is a cryogenic stopping cell. The part I am running simulations on is the RF carpet. The current carpet configuration uses a sinusoidal wave for the RF amplitude. I am running simulations on a carpet that would use a rectangular wave, with 4 electrodes. I can change the frequency of these electrodes.
I set the phase shifts to 0, 180, 0, 180 over the electrodes. I was testing different phase shifts, and now I am testing this one.
In principle, I test to see how many ions can get extracted from the system (transmission efficiency)
When I test this rectangular wave with a frequency of 1MHz, it takes an RF Amplitude of 76V to get 100% transmission efficiency. When I test it with 3MHz, it only takes 14V to get 100% transmission efficiency.

What would explain why a higher frequency requires a lower voltage for ion extraction?
I hope this was well explained. let me know if there are more explanations needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The higher frequency of the rectangular wave allows it to be more easily tuned to the resonance frequencies of the ions in the system. This means that the ions receive more energy per cycle of the wave, so less voltage is required to extract them from the cell. Additionally, the higher frequency allows for more rapid changes in the electric field strength, so the ions do not have as much time to lose energy within the cell before being ejected.

1. What is a rectangular wave?

A rectangular wave refers to a waveform that has a constant amplitude and a fixed duration, with abrupt transitions between high and low levels. It is commonly used in electronics and signal processing.

2. How is a rectangular wave used in the extraction of ions from a stopping cell?

In the extraction of ions from a stopping cell, a rectangular wave is typically used to control the timing of the ion extraction process. By applying a specific voltage waveform, the ions can be extracted from the stopping cell at a desired time and in a controlled manner.

3. What is the purpose of extracting ions from a stopping cell?

The extraction of ions from a stopping cell is an important step in many scientific processes, such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometry. It allows for the separation and analysis of ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

4. How does the extraction of ions from a stopping cell work?

The extraction process involves applying a voltage to the stopping cell, which creates an electric field that accelerates the ions towards an extraction electrode. The timing and shape of the applied voltage, typically in the form of a rectangular wave, determines when and how the ions are extracted from the cell.

5. What are the benefits of using a rectangular wave in the extraction of ions from a stopping cell?

Using a rectangular wave allows for precise control over the extraction process, resulting in a more accurate and efficient separation of ions. It also allows for flexibility in the timing and duration of the extraction, making it applicable for a wide range of scientific experiments and applications.