Recursion theorem: application in proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the recursion theorem and its application in proving the existence of a unique binary operation ##+: \mathbb{N} \times \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## that satisfies certain properties. The theorem is proven by using the recursion theorem and defining the operation as ##c+d = f_c(d)##, where ##f_c## is a unique function defined by the recursion theorem. The uniqueness of ##f_c## ensures that the operation is well-defined and unambiguous.
member 587159
I have read a proof but I have a question. To give some context, I first wrote down this proof as written in the book. First, I provide the recursion theorem though.

Recursion theorem:

Let H be a set. Let ##e \in H##. Let ##k: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow H## be a function. Then there exists a unique function f such that ##f(1) = e## and ##f \circ s = k \circ f##.

Theorem: There is a unique binary operation ##+: \mathbb{N} \times \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## that satisfies the following two properties for all ##n,m \in \mathbb{N}##
1) n + 1 = s(n)
2) n + s(m) = s(n + m)

(s is the successor function as described in the Peano Postulates)

Proof: Uniqueness: I'm going to skip this here as it is not important for my question.

Existence:

For ##p \in \mathbb{N}##, we can apply the recursion theorem to the set ##\mathbb{N}##, the element ##s(p) \in \mathbb{N}## and the function ##s: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## to deduce that there is a unique function ##f_p: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## such that ##f_p(1) = s(p)## and ##f_p \circ s = s \circ f_p##. Let ##+: \mathbb{N} \times \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## be defined by ##c + d = f_c(d)## for all ##(c,d) \in \mathbb{N} \times \mathbb{N}##. Let ##n,m \in \mathbb{N}##. Then ##n + 1 = f_n(1) = s(n)##, which is part 1) and ##n + s(m) = f_n(s(m)) = s(f_n(m)) = s(n + m)##, which is part 2).I'm having a hard time to understand why we can define ##c + d = f_c(d)##. ##f_c## is unique by the recursion theorem, what exactly does this mean? That we can only define this function as ##f_c: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}: d \mapsto c + d## and there is no other possibility? If this is the case, how do we show that this function is indeed the unique one the recursion theorem talks about. In fact, the recursion theorem says there exists such a unique function, but how do they know that it is that function? Thank you in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand your confusion.*) My confusion is the recursion theorem itself, but we take that for granted here. This means (for ##k = s##)
$$\forall \, {p \in \mathbb{N}=H} \quad \exists ! \, {f_p} \; : \; f_p(1) = s(p) = e \in \mathbb{N}=H \; \wedge \; f_p(s(n)) = s(f_p(n))$$

Thus we may use it to define ##(c,d) := c+d := f_c(d)## because ##f_c## is unique and ##f_c## is defined on ##\mathbb{N}##.
Whether there is another way to define ##c+d## isn't clear, since you left out the uniqueness part. But at least it is one possible definition and the uniqueness of every ##f_c## makes it well-defined, i.e. unambiguous.

The properties then are simply substitutions of these definitions plus the properties of the recursion theorem.

*) Edit: Maybe I got it. If it is the varying ##f_c## that concerns you, then think of it as follows:
##(c,d) \overset{1:1}\longleftrightarrow (f_c,d) := f_c(d) =: c + d##

Last edited:
Likes member 587159

What is the recursion theorem?

The recursion theorem is a mathematical concept that states that any function that can be defined recursively can also be defined using a simpler formula. This theorem is commonly used in proof by induction.

How is the recursion theorem used in proof?

The recursion theorem is used in proof by induction to show that a statement holds for all natural numbers. By defining a function recursively and using the recursion theorem, we can prove that the statement holds for the base case and then show that it also holds for the next natural number.

Can the recursion theorem be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the recursion theorem can be applied to other areas of mathematics, such as computer science and theoretical computer science. It is also commonly used in the study of algorithms and data structures.

What are some common applications of the recursion theorem?

Some common applications of the recursion theorem include the proof of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, the proof of the correctness of the Euclidean algorithm, and the proof of the existence of a solution to the Tower of Hanoi puzzle.

Are there any limitations to the recursion theorem?

While the recursion theorem is a powerful tool in proof, it does have limitations. It can only be used for functions that can be defined recursively, and it may not be applicable to all types of mathematical problems. Additionally, the use of the recursion theorem may require a high level of mathematical understanding and may not be suitable for beginners.