Redox reactions and potentials/potential differences

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of redox potential and its relationship to the spontaneity of redox reactions. It is understood that a positive redox potential indicates spontaneity, while a negative redox potential indicates non-spontaneity. However, the question arises about what a redox potential of 0 means. It is suggested that this indicates a dynamic equilibrium state, but the exact meaning is unclear. The conversation also explores the definition of a redox reaction and how it relates to the concept of potential.
s3a
Hello to everyone who reads this. :)

Homework Statement

I DO understand the two following points.:

1. If the redox potential of a redox reaction is positive, then the redox reaction is spontaneous.

2. If the redox potential of a redox reaction is negative, then the redox reaction is NOT spontaneous/non-spontaneous.

What I am NOT 100 percent sure I understand is what a redox potential of 0 (so neither positive nor negative) means (since most, if not all, sources don't seem to mention that). I've been told that it means that the system is at equilibrium, which does make sense to me, but being told that, I have another (sub)question to inquire about this further. (See part 3, below.)

Homework Equations

http://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Phy...es_of_Chemical_Equilibria/Dynamic_equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, a redox reaction with a potential of 0 means the system in question is ALWAYS in DYNAMIC equilibrium (and never static equilibrium), since redox reactions ALWAYS have motion between reactants and products, albeit at an equal and constant rate, when the redox potential of a redox reaction is 0, right?

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S.
"Potentials" = "Potential differences", right?

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
I DO understand the two following points.:

1. If the redox potential of a redox reaction is positive, then the redox reaction is spontaneous.

2. If the redox potential of a redox reaction is negative, then the redox reaction is NOT spontaneous/non-spontaneous.

I am not sure I understand what it is supposed to mean.

What do you mean by "redox reaction"? The one in which two half cells are combined to react?

If so, whether the cell potential is positive or negative is just a matter of how the half cells are connected to the voltmeter and the negative potential can be made positive just by switching the cells. But you can't make the system spontaneous just by shifting flasks, so there is something wrong.

And if by "redox reaction" you mean a half cell reaction, it is never spontaneous, as it won't work without an electron source (or sink) which is typically a second half cell. Which moves us back to the first case (which is already wrong).

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, also known as an oxidation-reduction reaction, is a chemical reaction that involves the transfer of electrons between two reactants. One reactant, called the reducing agent, loses electrons and is oxidized, while the other reactant, called the oxidizing agent, gains electrons and is reduced.

2. What is a redox potential?

A redox potential, also known as an oxidation-reduction potential, is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to gain or lose electrons. It is a measure of the potential difference between the oxidized and reduced forms of a species and is often used to predict the direction of a redox reaction.

3. How is redox potential measured?

Redox potential is measured using a device called a redox electrode, which consists of a metal electrode and a reference electrode surrounded by an electrolyte solution. The potential difference between the two electrodes is measured using a voltmeter, and the results are typically reported in volts.

4. What factors affect redox potential?

Several factors can affect redox potential, including temperature, concentration of reactants, and pH of the solution. In general, a higher temperature and a higher concentration of reactants will lead to a higher redox potential, while a lower pH will lead to a lower redox potential.

5. Why are redox reactions important in biological systems?

Redox reactions play a crucial role in biological systems, as they are involved in many essential processes such as energy production, metabolism, and cell signaling. Redox reactions also help maintain the balance of ions and molecules in living organisms and are necessary for the proper functioning of enzymes and other proteins.