Reduction Formulae Application

In summary, the reduction formula for tan^n x can be used to simplify integrals involving tan^n x. An example of its application is shown by substituting n=4 into the formula to solve for \int\tan^4\!x\,dx, resulting in \tfrac{1}{3}\tan^3\!x - \tan x + x + C.
shamieh
Can someone show me how I would "use" the reduction formulae for \(\displaystyle tan^n x\) ? I just want to see an example on when I would ever use it. A simple one will do.\(\displaystyle \frac{tan^{n-2}x}{n - 1} - \int tan^{n-2} x dx\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, shamieh!

Your formula is incorrect.

[tex]\int\tan^n\!x\,dx \;=\;\frac{\tan^{n-1}\!x}{n - 1} - \int\tan^{n-2}\!x\,dx[/tex]Example: .[tex]\int\tan^4\!x\,dx[/tex]

Substitute [tex]n=4[/tex] into the formula:

[tex]\int\tan^4\!x\,dx \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\tan^3\!x - \int \tan^2\!x\,dx[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\tan^3\!x - \int(\sec^2\!x -1)\,dx [/tex]

. . . . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\tan^3\!x - \int\sec^2\!x\,dx + \int dx[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\tan^3\!x - \tan x + x + C[/tex]

Thank you sororaban! Also thank you for the PM the other day!

1. What are reduction formulae and how are they applied?

Reduction formulae are mathematical formulas used to reduce a complex expression into a simpler form. They are applied by repeatedly using the formula to simplify the expression until it reaches a desired form.

2. What are the main benefits of using reduction formulae?

The main benefit of using reduction formulae is that they can help solve complex mathematical problems in a more efficient and systematic way. They also allow for the identification of patterns and relationships within the expression.

3. How do you know when to use a reduction formula?

A reduction formula can be used when there is a repetitive pattern or a relationship between terms in a mathematical expression. It is also commonly used when solving integrals or series.

4. What are some common mistakes when applying reduction formulae?

One common mistake when applying reduction formulae is not recognizing the pattern or relationship between terms in the expression. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the formula, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. Are reduction formulae only applicable to certain types of problems?

No, reduction formulae can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems and expressions. They are most commonly used in calculus and series, but can also be used in other areas such as geometry and algebra.