Reference for Hadron mass & spin problem?

In summary, there is an open problem to derive the very existence of hadrons in the first place, and in particular to compute their masses and spins from first principles. Qualitative arguments and lattice simulations exist, but issues remain (e.g. proton spin crisis).
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am looking for articles or books that would clearly and succinctly state the open problem of and issues with computing hadron masses and spins in QCD from first principles, preferably in relation to the open problem of confinement and the general open problem of non-perturbative QCD.

Any suggestions?

To clarify, I am not concerned with the truth of these issues, my question is a biblioraphical one: For purposes of citation I am hoping for an author who would state these problems clearly, comprehensively and authoratively.

To compare, the Clay Institute announcement a few years back of the "Mass Gap Problem" serves as a great general purpose citation for the statement of the corresponding open problem in mathematical physics. What I am looking for is a similarly nicely citable statement of the corresponding problem in phenomenology.

Some reference should say: Since non-perturbative QCD remains open, it is an open problem to derive the very existence of hadrons in the first place, and in particular to compute properties such as their masses and spin from first principles. Qualitative arguments and lattice simulations exist, but issues remain (e.g. proton spin crisis) and at the heart of it this is an open problem.

Something like this. It seems people like to say all this in informal contexts, such as in popular physics journal columns, in Reddit replies or in their blog articles. None of which is citeable. I am looking for somebody saying all this clearly and in a regularly published article or book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
I am looking for articles or books that would clearly and succinctly state the open problem of and issues with computing hadron masses and spins in QCD from first principles, preferably in relation to the open problem of confinement and the general open problem of non-perturbative QCD.

Any suggestions?

To clarify, I am not concerned with the truth of these issues, my question is a biblioraphical one: For purposes of citation I am hoping for an author who would state these problems clearly, comprehensively and authoratively.

To compare, the Clay Institute announcement a few years back of the "Mass Gap Problem" serves as a great general purpose citation for the statement of the corresponding open problem in mathematical physics. What I am looking for is a similarly nicely citable statement of the corresponding problem in phenomenology.

Some reference should say: Since non-perturbative QCD remains open, it is an open problem to derive the very existence of hadrons in the first place, and in particular to compute properties such as their masses and spin from first principles. Qualitative arguments and lattice simulations exist, but issues remain (e.g. proton spin crisis) and at the heart of it this is an open problem.

Something like this. It seems people like to say all this in informal contexts, such as in popular physics journal columns, in Reddit replies or in their blog articles. None of which is citeable. I am looking for somebody saying all this clearly and in a regularly published article or book.

@DarMM, or other folks in the threads

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-can-quarks-exist-if-they-are-confined.958432/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/asymptotic-states-in-gauge-theories.958217/

might know some references.

Thanks. Maybe it's an odd request, though it seems like something that must have occurred to others before.

I am collecting references with quotes of roughly the kind I was asking for here.

1. What is the Hadron mass and spin problem?

The Hadron mass and spin problem refers to the observed discrepancy between the theoretical predictions of the mass and spin of subatomic particles called hadrons, and the values measured experimentally. Hadrons are particles made up of quarks, such as protons and neutrons, and their mass and spin are fundamental properties that are crucial for understanding the behavior of matter.

2. What is the current status of the Hadron mass and spin problem?

The Hadron mass and spin problem is still an active area of research in particle physics. While significant progress has been made in understanding the origins of the discrepancy, a complete solution has not yet been found. However, new experimental techniques and theoretical models continue to shed light on this long-standing puzzle.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the Hadron mass and spin problem?

One proposed solution to the Hadron mass and spin problem is the presence of hidden or exotic particles that contribute to the overall mass and spin of hadrons. Other solutions involve modifications to the standard model of particle physics, such as the introduction of new fundamental forces or dimensions. Another approach is to study the internal structure of hadrons in more detail to better understand their mass and spin.

4. How does the Hadron mass and spin problem impact our understanding of the universe?

The Hadron mass and spin problem is an important puzzle in our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. A complete solution to this problem could lead to a deeper understanding of the behavior of matter and the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It could also have implications for our understanding of dark matter, which is thought to make up a significant portion of the mass of the universe.

5. What is being done to further investigate the Hadron mass and spin problem?

Scientists are conducting experiments at particle accelerators and developing new theoretical models to further investigate the Hadron mass and spin problem. These experiments and models aim to provide more precise measurements of hadron properties and potentially uncover new particles or forces that could help solve the puzzle. Collaboration between experimental and theoretical physicists is key in making progress towards a complete understanding of this problem.