Reference for Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the Oppenheimer Snyder collapse and the difficulty in finding the original paper on it. It is determined that the 1939 paper is the only one written by Oppenheimer and Snyder on this topic, and it was published at the beginning of World War II. The grwiki summary appears to be based on a more modern understanding of the model, and there are textbooks and articles available that discuss it from a modern point of view.
gnnmartin
I want to make a comment on the Oppenheimer Snyder collapse, and before doing so want to read the original Oppenheimer Snyder paper. All I have been able to find is the paper "On continued gravitational contraction" in the Sept '39 Physical Review, but I get the impression that to most people 'Oppenheimer Snyder collapse' means something considerably more evolved and simplified: as for example in http://grwiki.physics.ncsu.edu/wiki/Oppenheimer-Snyder_Collapse.

Is there a later paper by Oppenheimer & Snyder that more closely reflects the grwiki summary? I would appreciate a reference, and if it is accessible online without a paywall, a url.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnnmartin said:
Is there a later paper by Oppenheimer & Snyder that more closely reflects the grwiki summary?

AFAIK the 1939 paper is the only one Oppenheimer and Snyder ever wrote in this topic. Since the date of publication was the same as the date on which World War II broke out, that's not too surprising.

The summary you linked to appears to be based on a more modern understanding of the model, which draws on the more modern understanding of black hole spacetimes in general that was developed in the 1950s and 1960s. I'm not aware of any particular paper that discusses it, but at least some textbooks, including MTW, do.

Likes gnnmartin
Thanks to both of you. Good to know I'm not missing something later by Oppenheimer & Snyder. The summary that PAllen gives is useful: it's a pity it is so print unfriendly (61 pages).

Ah, I've discovered how to print it 4 pages per physical page. That's better.

1. What is the Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper?

The Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper is a scientific paper published in 1939 by physicists J. Robert Oppenheimer and Hartland Snyder. It describes the theoretical possibility of a massive star collapsing under its own gravity to form a black hole.

2. What is the significance of the Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper?

The Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper is considered to be a landmark paper in the field of astrophysics. It provided a new theoretical understanding of the final stages of a star's life and the formation of black holes.

3. What are the key findings of the Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper?

The paper proposed that a massive star, after exhausting its nuclear fuel, could no longer support its own weight and would collapse in on itself. This would result in the formation of a singularity, a point of infinite density, and a region of space-time known as an event horizon, from which nothing can escape.

4. How was the Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper received by the scientific community?

The Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper was initially met with skepticism and controversy. However, as more evidence for the existence of black holes was discovered, the paper gained widespread acceptance and is now considered a seminal work in astrophysics.

5. How has the Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper influenced our understanding of the universe?

The Oppenheimer Snyder Collapse Paper has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe, particularly in regards to the formation and behavior of black holes. It has also paved the way for further research and discoveries in the field of astrophysics.