Reflecting telescope optics problem-Angle on the sky to angle on a mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the size of the image of the Moon formed by the 3.6 m diameter mirror of the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, with a focus on the angle that the Moon subtends in the sky. The homework equations are mentioned, but the student is unsure of how to apply them. The expert suggests that the angle the Moon subtends at the mirror is the same angle that the image will subtend, similar to refracting telescopes.
Desafino

Homework Statement

When viewed from Earth, the Moon subtends an angle of 0.5° in the sky. How large an image of the Moon will be formed by the 3.6 m diameter mirror of the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, which has a focal length of 8.5 m?

Homework Equations

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f, but I'm not sure what else.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to begin. My book only talks about refracting telescopes and we've yet to talk about reflecting telescopes in class. I thought initially it might have something to do with the distance to and radius of the moon but I couldn't figure out how to work those into the problems. I'd appreciate any help you have. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle the object subtended at the mirror is the same angle that the image subtends - just like for refracting telescopes.

Attachments

• reflecting telescope - image size.jpg
    reflecting telescope - image size.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,142
Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a reflecting telescope?

A reflecting telescope is used to collect and focus light from distant objects in space. It uses a curved mirror to gather light and create an image for observation or analysis.

2. How does the angle on the sky relate to the angle on the mirror in a reflecting telescope?

The angle on the sky determines the direction from which the light is coming from, while the angle on the mirror determines the direction in which the light is reflected. These two angles are related through the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

3. Why is it important to accurately adjust the angle of the mirror in a reflecting telescope?

The angle of the mirror is crucial in determining the quality and clarity of the image produced by the telescope. A small deviation in the angle can result in distorted or blurry images, making it essential to adjust the mirror accurately for optimal performance.

4. How is the angle of the mirror controlled in a reflecting telescope?

The angle of the mirror can be controlled through a variety of methods, including using mechanical adjustments or motorized actuators. Some modern telescopes also use computer-controlled systems to precisely adjust the angle of the mirror.

5. Can the angle on the sky be changed in a reflecting telescope?

Yes, the angle on the sky can be changed by adjusting the position of the telescope or using additional lenses or mirrors to redirect the light. This allows for the observation of different objects in the sky and can also help in correcting for atmospheric distortions.