Reflection and Absorbtion of Microwaves, also Masers

In summary, the efficiency of reflecting microwaves is comparable to that of visible light. The amount of absorption of microwaves through the atmosphere depends on the frequency and humidity levels. The "radio window" for microwaves is between 1cm to 11m wavelengths where absorption is minimal, but specific figures for absorption at certain humidities or wavelengths are difficult to find. The most powerful continuous-wave maser that exists is still unknown.
cosmo123
I have tried searching for answers to these questions but i can't seem to find them, so if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

How efficiently you can reflect microwaves? I know visible light can be reflected at 99.99% efficiency or something ridiculous like that, is it the same for microwaves?
Also, how much are microwaves absorbed as they pass through the atmosphere? I haven't been able to find any exact figures.
Finally, does anyone know what is the most powerful continuous-wave maser that's been made?

Science news on Phys.org
They can be reflected extremely efficiently; I don't think there is any practical difference between microwaves and light in this respect.

The absorption will depend on the frequency of the microwaves (remember that "microwaves" refer to frequencies from a few hundred MHz up to about 1 THz or so) but also on the atmosphere; the amount of waver vapour (i.e the humidity) can make a huge difference, especially when dealing with higher frequencies.

f95toli said:
They can be reflected extremely efficiently; I don't think there is any practical difference between microwaves and light in this respect.

The absorption will depend on the frequency of the microwaves (remember that "microwaves" refer to frequencies from a few hundred MHz up to about 1 THz or so) but also on the atmosphere; the amount of waver vapour (i.e the humidity) can make a huge difference, especially when dealing with higher frequencies.

Ive been trying to find some figures for it at certain humidities or certain wavelengths, but i can't really find anything.:frown: I know the "radio window" goes from about 1cm to 11m wavelengths, where microwaves are absorbed very little, but it would be very useful to have some figures to work with.

What is the difference between reflection and absorption of microwaves?

Reflection of microwaves occurs when the waves bounce off a surface, while absorption of microwaves occurs when the waves are absorbed by a material. Reflection results in the waves being redirected, while absorption results in the waves being converted into heat energy.

How does the reflection and absorption of microwaves impact the heating of food in a microwave?

The reflection and absorption of microwaves play a crucial role in heating food in a microwave. The microwaves are reflected off the metal walls of the microwave and absorbed by the food, causing the water molecules in the food to vibrate and generate heat. This heat then cooks the food from the inside out.

What is a maser and how does it differ from a microwave?

A maser is a device that amplifies and emits electromagnetic waves in the microwave frequency range. It differs from a microwave in that it uses stimulated emission of radiation to produce a coherent and powerful beam of microwaves, while a microwave uses electrical circuits to generate and transmit microwaves.

What are some practical applications of masers?

Masers have a variety of practical applications, including in satellite communication, radar technology, and atomic clocks. They are also used in medical imaging, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and in scientific research, such as in radio telescopes.

How do masers generate and amplify microwaves?

Masers use a process called stimulated emission to generate and amplify microwaves. The atoms in the maser's medium are excited by an external energy source, causing them to emit photons of the same frequency. These photons then stimulate other excited atoms to emit more photons, resulting in a coherent and amplified beam of microwaves.