How does reflection affect the intensity of the microwave?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the effects of reflection on the intensity of microwaves. The discussion includes the concept of phase difference in the combined intensity of direct and reflected signals, the conservation of energy in reflection, and the variation of intensity with the angle of incidence. The main question is whether reflection amplifies, attenuates, or leaves the intensity unchanged. The speaker also mentions an experiment that was done to study this phenomenon.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on a lab report, and I am a bit stumped at these questions:
How does reflection affect the intensity of the microwave? Is all the energy of the wave striking the Reflector reflected? Does the intensity of the reflected signal vary with the angle of incidence?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to reason the answers using my logic and knowledge;
I would say that reflection would increase the intensity of the microwave. Since if there was light going to my receiver at a direct path and some that would reach after reflection, they would have a phase difference. Their combined intensity depends on this phase difference. This way could double what you would normal capture at the receiver.

For the energy, I would say yes. In this case, there is no refraction. Therefore since we must have conservation of energy, all of the energy of the wave that hits the reflector must be reflected as well. This answer, I am really unsure of. I don't get the concept of "reflected energy", I suppose.

For this, I am also unsure. I would say that it does vary. At larger angles of incidence, there is more of a chance of a part of the wave being lost and not reflected so the intensity would be less.

Can someone correct the errors in my logic and explain to me the proper concepts that I am missing? Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you did experiment 2 in here (or something similar)...
http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~phys128/experiments/microwave/microwave.pdf

Cocoleia said:
I would say that reflection would increase the intensity of the microwave. Since if there was light going to my receiver at a direct path and some that would reach after reflection, they would have a phase difference. Their combined intensity depends on this phase difference. This way could double what you would normal capture at the receiver.

I think you misunderstand the question. It's not about interference. They are asking what does the process of reflection do to the signal? Does it amplify it, attenuate it or leave it unchanged? The path length between transmitter and receiver was probably about the same for the direct case and the reflected case so any difference would be due to the process of reflection.

Cocoleia said:
For the energy, I would say yes. In this case, there is no refraction. Therefore since we must have conservation of energy, all of the energy of the wave that hits the reflector must be reflected as well. This answer, I am really unsure of. I don't get the concept of "reflected energy", I suppose.

When you drop a ball on the floor it hits the floor with some velocity. The kinetic energy it has just before impact is KE=0.5mv2. Does it have exactly the same velocity when it starts back up? Exactly the same energy or was some lost in the collision?

When you did the microwave experiment how did the direct signal path compare with the reflected signal path?

Cocoleia said:
Does the intensity of the reflected signal vary with the angle of incidence?

What does your data show?

Likes Cocoleia
Cocoleia said:
I would say that reflection would increase the intensity of the microwave.

how could you say that ? ... think about your answer, then consider "where would the extra microwave energy be coming from ?"

Likes Cocoleia

1. How does the angle of reflection impact the intensity of microwaves?

The angle of reflection is directly related to the intensity of microwaves. When the angle of reflection is perpendicular to the surface, the intensity of the microwaves will be at its maximum. As the angle of reflection deviates from perpendicular, the intensity of the microwaves will decrease.

2. What is the relationship between the material of the reflective surface and the intensity of microwaves?

The material of the reflective surface can greatly impact the intensity of microwaves. Materials that are highly reflective, such as metals, will reflect more microwaves and therefore increase the intensity. On the other hand, materials that are less reflective, such as wood or plastic, will absorb more microwaves and decrease the intensity.

3. How does the distance between the microwave source and the reflective surface affect the intensity?

The distance between the microwave source and the reflective surface can greatly impact the intensity. As the distance increases, the intensity of the microwaves will decrease due to the spreading out of the waves. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the intensity will increase due to the waves being more concentrated.

4. How does the shape of the reflective surface affect the intensity of microwaves?

The shape of the reflective surface can greatly impact the intensity of microwaves. A curved surface, such as a parabolic reflector, can focus and concentrate the microwaves to increase intensity. A flat surface, on the other hand, will reflect the microwaves in various directions and may decrease the intensity.

5. What happens to the intensity of microwaves when multiple reflective surfaces are present?

The intensity of microwaves can be affected by multiple reflective surfaces. If the surfaces are aligned in a way that focuses and concentrates the microwaves, the intensity can increase. However, if the surfaces are not aligned and the reflections cancel each other out, the intensity may decrease. The overall effect will depend on the arrangement and materials of the reflective surfaces.