Reflection of Radio Waves by a Mirror-like surface

In summary: The Circuit Scribe pen is marketed as an educational toy that can be made reliable. It has easy to use components that are compatible with circuit drawings from the pen.
EnergyInMotion
Hey guys, I'm new to the physicsforums. I wanted to share some videos I made and see if anyone was interested or wanted to discuss what they see.

In this video I show in a manner in which is VERY easy to see, that a reflective surface will reflect not just light but also radio waves (and most likely anything in the electromagnetic spectrum)
I use a modified powercast RF testing stick, a powercast RF transmitter (powerspot) and some cardboard and reflective paper. Check it out!
Radio Waves & Reflection - Youtube videoI also wanted to share this other video which is fairly related, where I literally draw a functional antenna on a piece of paper with a Circuit Scribe pen and it captures nearby radiowaves, converts it to DC electricity (with a powercast RF->DC chip), and powers and LED. Video is shown in real time as it happens!
Drawing a functional wireless power antenna - Youtube Video

Let me know what you think !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does that Circuit Scribe Pen use conductive ink?

If it works that looks great! If you can stack two layers under the modules you could make "circuit boards". Anybody else seen these close up?

EnergyInMotion said:
a powercast RF transmitter (powerspot)
What frequency and power are transmitted by the powerspot? Since you are also an amateur radio operator, you know that we need to stay within licensed bands and power limits. Looks like a useful tool, as long as it is licensed or operating in the microwave oven band. :wink:

(Aside -- have you been on any transmitter hunts as part of your amateur radio experience? They can be pretty fun and challenging!)

Likes Klystron
berkeman said:
Does that Circuit Scribe Pen use conductive ink?
Yes, that's exactly how it works!

berkeman said:
What frequency and power are transmitted by the powerspot? Since you are also an amateur radio operator, you know that we need to stay within licensed bands and power limits. Looks like a useful tool, as long as it is licensed or operating in the microwave oven band. :wink:

(Aside -- have you been on any transmitter hunts as part of your amateur radio experience? They can be pretty fun and challenging!)
915Mhz, 3Watts EIRP. From what I understand you don't necessarily need a license to use it as they acquired FCC certifications and it is marketed to consumers. There's one product I see that so far that "charges" off of it, which is some sort of Nintendo Switch Handheld controller grips.

I read about the transmitter hunts but I have not participated. In fact, I purchased some radios and messed around with listening, but never once have actually made a transmission! I'm about as "amateur" as it comes for actual Amateur Radio activities.

I was at one point attempting to set up a radio-based IRC channel, but never finished with it. I think that would be really cool to try.

Likes berkeman
hutchphd said:
If it works that looks great! If you can stack two layers under the modules you could make "circuit boards". Anybody else seen these close up?
The hard part is somehow getting actual components to sit on the paper that you draw on. But it could be possible to make layers and somehow get them to go vertical to another layer to interconnect things. I did try, and almost succeeded, to actually glue circuit components in place and have a functional, paper-based hand drawn circuit that would not be broken if I picked it up or moved it.

EnergyInMotion said:
I read about the transmitter hunts but I have not participated. In fact, I purchased some radios and messed around with listening, but never once have actually made a transmission! I'm about as "amateur" as it comes for actual Amateur Radio activities.
Do a Google search for Weekly HAM Net in your area. You can listen to a few of them, and then practice checking in. Weekly Nets are how we practice good radio protocol. :smile:

KI6EGL

Likes EnergyInMotion
EnergyInMotion said:
The hard part is somehow getting actual components to sit on the paper that you draw on. But it could be possible to make layers and somehow get them to go vertical to another layer to interconnect things. I did try, and almost succeeded, to actually glue circuit components in place and have a functional, paper-based hand drawn circuit that would not be broken if I picked it up or moved it.
Seems like it could be a good educational toy if done well. Fun, if it could be made reliable.

hutchphd said:
Seems like it could be a good educational toy if done well. Fun, if it could be made reliable.
Yep that's actually what they market it as! They have little circuit boards that you push down on your circuit drawing and it makes things happen. They made easy to use components that are compatible with circuit drawings from their pen. I'm not sure why they only market it to kids though, as it can be fun and useful for prototyping for adults also, similar to a breadboard in a way.

Likes hutchphd
EnergyInMotion said:
915Mhz, 3Watts EIRP. From what I understand you don't necessarily need a license to use it as they acquired FCC certifications and it is marketed to consumers.
Cool. What's the FCC ID off of the label? Thanks.

EnergyInMotion said:
Yes, that's exactly how it works! ...

I read about the transmitter hunts but I have not participated. In fact, I purchased some radios and messed around with listening, but never once have actually made a transmission!

Radio receivers and subsequent signal processing interest me as much as transmitters. Receivers require less power and allow the operator to scan for signal. Brilliant that most antennae both transmit and receive.

Likes EnergyInMotion
Klystron said:
Brilliant that most antennae both transmit and receive.
There's the principle of Reciprocity, which says that the emf at the receiver end has the same ratio to the input current at the transmitter, whichever way round they're connected (that's sort of how I remember it) so the link can work both ways. However, many receiving antennae will not handle the powers of the transmitter (many would just melt).
An interesting anecdote, based on my connection with BBC World Service transmitting sites is that many of the technicians on site are / were Radio Hams. They told me that the massive Curtain Arrays, used for transmitting to overseas sites, work as fantastic receiving antennae. That's when broadcasting schedules allow, of course (Against all H and S rules too). 200kW going out of a nearby array would obvs fry a receiver, connected to another array, whatever design frequency bands of the two antennae.

1. How does a mirror-like surface reflect radio waves?

A mirror-like surface reflects radio waves through the process of electromagnetic reflection. When an electromagnetic wave, such as a radio wave, reaches the surface of a mirror, it causes the electrons in the metal atoms of the mirror to vibrate. This vibration creates a new electromagnetic wave that is equal in frequency and amplitude to the original wave, but with a different direction of propagation. This new wave is then reflected off the mirror's surface, creating the illusion of a reflection.

2. What determines the angle of reflection for radio waves on a mirror-like surface?

The angle of reflection for radio waves on a mirror-like surface is determined by the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the wave hits the mirror) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the wave bounces off the mirror). This means that the angle of reflection will be the same as the angle at which the radio wave hits the mirror.

3. Can radio waves be reflected by any type of surface?

Yes, radio waves can be reflected by any type of surface, as long as the surface is conductive. This means that the surface must have free electrons that can vibrate in response to the electromagnetic wave, creating a new reflected wave. However, some surfaces may be better reflectors of radio waves than others, depending on their composition and smoothness.

4. How do radio waves behave when they are reflected by a mirror-like surface?

When radio waves are reflected by a mirror-like surface, they follow the law of reflection. This means that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, and the reflected wave will have the same frequency and amplitude as the incident wave. The reflected wave will also have a phase shift of 180 degrees, meaning that the peaks and troughs of the wave will be inverted.

5. Can the reflection of radio waves by a mirror-like surface be used for communication?

Yes, the reflection of radio waves by a mirror-like surface can be used for communication. In fact, this is the principle behind satellite communication. Satellites have large reflective surfaces that can bounce radio waves back to Earth, allowing for long-distance communication. Additionally, mirrors can also be used to reflect and focus radio waves in specific directions, making them useful for directing and amplifying radio signals.