Reflections on Product Quality - Comments

In summary, reflections on product quality highlight the importance of continuously improving and monitoring the quality of products to ensure customer satisfaction. Comments from both consumers and experts emphasize the need for thorough testing, attention to detail, and prompt response to any issues that may arise. Additionally, maintaining high standards and incorporating ethical practices in production processes are also key aspects of ensuring product quality. Overall, reflections on product quality stress the significance of considering all aspects of production and constantly striving for excellence in order to stand out in a competitive market.
Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
svein submitted a new PF Insights post

Reflections on Product Quality

qualitycontrol.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes QuantumQuest
Technology news on Phys.org
It is impossible to test quality into a product. Quality must be designed into the product.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/reflections-product-quality/

Some years ago I was the main RF test guy at Cisco Systems. I developed an automated test system that provided both the factory floor tests AND had a superset of those used for design validation.

During the design validation phase of many products, there was a running discussion/debate with the design engineers whether what my system was reporting represented design flaws or manufacturing flaws in exemplars of the early design. I was under constant pressure to tweak the system to PASS the product so we could get it to market quicker. My refrain was, "Let's fix the product, not the tests." The tests, while often complex, were a relatively straight forward implementation of testing to the specifications set out in the design goals.

So while I agree that you cannot test quality into a product, testing can certainly determine that the design has not yet achieved the level of desired quality.

This is an important point, because the design engineers often wanted to argue that a given specification need not be tested, claiming that it was "guaranteed by design." I often answered, "If it is guaranteed by design, then why does it keep failing the test?" Eventually, I took the philosophy, "If it has not been tested, then it does not work." This is not an absolute truth statement, just an expression of my conviction that a company needs to test product to ALL their specifications before they gain confidence things are working as designed.

The hardware designer is always responsible for the production yield. The purpose of production tests is to check production quality, not product quality.

The distinction between production quality and product quality is somewhat artificial, and completely artificial from the customer's perspective. What he buys either meets the specs or it doesn't. He doesn't care why, nor should he have to.

There are inevitably design flaws that do not show up until the product is mass produced near or at full volumes. Other design flaws may not show up until production is moved from one factory to another, because only then is a design sensitivity to some manufacturer detail that was thought insignificant revealed.

At the same time, the notion that the hardware designed is always responsible for the production yield ignores some of the nonsense and noncompliance that can occur on the factory floor, as well as some of the quality issues that can occur with components suddenly out of spec.

When the prototype fulfills all marketing requirements, you are only 40% done

In my experience, people in a company tend to think of the "real" marketing requirements as the subset of the engineering specs they think the customers really care about; whereas, I always thought about them as the complete engineering spec. The motive was often to have an excuse to ship product that fulfilled what "customers really want" that may be out of spec in areas that "customers don't care about." In cases where this dichotomy exists, one needs to distinguish between the complete engineering specs and the "marketing requirements."

Likes Pepper Mint
Dr. Courtney said:
So while I agree that you cannot test quality into a product, testing can certainly determine that the design has not yet achieved the level of desired quality.
I remember - a lot of years ago I was with Tandberg Data. One division was producing tape streamers and had put much effort in the design. They then told a Japanese customer somewhat proudly that their yield now was 99.95% (i.e. 0.05% failure in the final tests). The customer responded with: "Congratulations! You are now #3 on our lists - from the bottom!".

The result: One of the leading hardware engineers was given the responsibility to fix the product quality and the production quality. It took two years of intensive work, but they ended up as #3 from the top.

A digression: In another context (where I was a consultant), I learned that the main product had a 40% failure rate in the production test. My response was: "Are you kidding? How can you live with such a bad product / production quality?" Needless to say, they were offended and told me to keep my opinions to myself...

I think there is some validity to the notion that the public is not always interested in quality.

Good article, congratulations. But let me present an different view on the value of product quality.

Consider the phone apps subset of the world. Perfection is wasted on an app that people don't want, and defects are not sufficient to defeat a popular app.

Think of AT&T phones from the 1970s. They were top quality, and built to last for 40 years. Who wants to pay for that quality today? Today's consumers are anxious to throw away our smart phones after a year or two so that we can get the newest versions with extra features. Reliability, ruggedness, longevity, maintainability, and repair-ability are all deprecated in the modern smart phone market. Bugs in the software are simply patched at the next forced update.

I think that the buying public is suspicious of claims of additional quality justifying higher prices. Audio cables are a good example. Scam artists exploit false claims of quality (as well as every other falsehood they can imagine), thus turning customers into skeptics. I'm such a skeptic. I find that often (not always) I get the best value for my money at the dollar store.

None of these things dispute what you said in the Insights article. I just wanted to point out that product quality is not always the most important feature.

anorlunda said:
I just wanted to point out that product quality is not always the most important feature.
Not in the consumer market, probably. But would you feel comfortable in an oceangoing boat where the final test fallout were 10% or above? Or, for that matter, in an airplane with similar production problems?

Svein said:
Not in the consumer market, probably. But would you feel comfortable in an oceangoing boat where the final test fallout were 10% or above? Or, for that matter, in an airplane with similar production problems?

Of course not. My background is in nuclear plant controls which are even more stringent. But the Insights article didn't say that it was limited to critical applications, while your advice on how to achieve product quality does applies to all kinds of software.

My post was not criticism, it merely pointed out that we shouldn't look down our noses at low quality in every domain.

Likes Svein

1. What is the importance of product quality in the market?

Product quality is crucial in the market because it directly impacts customer satisfaction and loyalty. A high-quality product not only meets the expectations of the customers but also exceeds them, leading to positive reviews and recommendations. On the other hand, a poor-quality product can result in dissatisfied customers, negative reviews, and a decline in sales.

2. How can companies ensure product quality?

Companies can ensure product quality by implementing a quality control process that includes regular inspections and testing of the product during and after production. They can also set quality standards and guidelines that need to be followed by all employees involved in the production process. Additionally, conducting market research and gathering feedback from customers can help companies identify and address any issues with product quality.

3. What is the role of product quality in brand reputation?

Product quality plays a significant role in brand reputation as it reflects the company's commitment to providing a reliable and superior product to its customers. A strong brand reputation built on high-quality products can lead to increased customer trust and loyalty, which are essential for long-term success in the market.

4. How does product quality affect pricing?

Product quality can impact pricing in two ways. Firstly, a high-quality product may have a higher production cost, which can result in a higher selling price. However, customers are often willing to pay more for a high-quality product, making it a competitive advantage for the company. On the other hand, a low-quality product may have a lower price, but it can also lead to lower sales and a negative impact on the company's overall revenue.

5. How can companies continuously improve product quality?

To continuously improve product quality, companies can gather customer feedback and use it to identify areas for improvement. They can also invest in research and development to innovate and enhance the product's features and quality. Additionally, companies can implement a quality management system and regularly review and improve their processes to ensure consistent and high-quality products.