Reflective inserts for home gas fireplaces

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Home
In summary, Reflective inserts can improve the efficiency of a wood-burning fireplace by reflecting more of the IR energy into the living room.
berkeman
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
What would be a good material and cleaning schedule to improve the heat efficiency of home gas fireplaces?
I guess this applies to wood-burning fireplaces as well, but they will require more frequent reflector surface cleaning.

Our gas fireplace is fairly warm, but it's clear that it's not as efficient as it could be. It seems like reflective back and side inserts would reflect a lot more of the IR energy into the living room and improve the heating efficiency.

I've searched a fair amount for air circulation inserts and reflective wall inserts, but haven't found a good solution. Does anybody know if good inserts exist, and for the reflective versions, what material they are made out of and how often you need to clean them to keep them efficiently reflecting the heat energy?

Thanks.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon..._PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1575241246861.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
The heat either goes up the chimney or into your room. Adding reflectors won't change that.
(Also, your insurance company probably doesn't approve of such modifications.)

Berke, Merry Christmas. I am in west Ohio and out in the country. I heat with wood. Wood burning stove. Back up is LP heater. I built the house in 1990 with 2 x 6 and it is so insulated i can not start a fire until it hits below 30 deg F. I clean the chimney yearly if i burn over two cords of wood. I have owned many woodburners over the years and the Buck stove with convection motor is a good one. If it were me and i wanted more heat from your gas insert i would look at adding 1 1/2" exhaust pipe and a blower to actually interact with the visible flames. If designed right it would not be that obtrusive in appearance and could be made pretty cheap.

Likes berkeman
Keith_McClary said:
(Also, your insurance company probably doesn't approve of such modifications.)
Interesting point, I hadn't considered that issue. The insert would be made of metal, so not flammable. But if it collapsed for some reason, that could cause safety issues (CO or knocking embers out of the fireplace). I'll keep safety issues in mind on this project; thanks for the reminder. :smile:

there are plenty of aftermarket fireplace blowers on the market today. i can fabricate a set up for just about any fireplace in operation..ifin you got enough time and money!

1. What are reflective inserts for home gas fireplaces?

Reflective inserts for home gas fireplaces are panels made of reflective material, typically glass or metal, that are placed inside the fireplace to enhance the appearance of the flames. They are designed to reflect and amplify the light and heat from the fire, creating a more realistic and visually appealing flame.

2. How do reflective inserts work?

Reflective inserts work by reflecting and redirecting the light and heat from the fire. The reflective surface bounces the light and heat back into the fireplace, creating a more intense and vibrant flame. This also helps to distribute the heat more evenly throughout the room.

3. What are the benefits of using reflective inserts for gas fireplaces?

There are several benefits to using reflective inserts for gas fireplaces. They can enhance the appearance of the flames, making them look more realistic and visually appealing. They can also improve the efficiency of the fireplace by reflecting and redirecting heat, making the room feel warmer. Additionally, they can help to protect the fireplace and surrounding walls from heat damage.

4. Are reflective inserts easy to install?

Yes, reflective inserts are typically very easy to install. They can be placed inside the fireplace without any special tools or equipment. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and make sure the inserts are properly secured.

5. Can reflective inserts be used with any type of gas fireplace?

Reflective inserts can be used with most types of gas fireplaces, including natural gas and propane. However, it is important to check the compatibility of the inserts with your specific fireplace model before purchasing. Some manufacturers may offer inserts that are specifically designed for certain types of fireplaces.