Refractive Index: Homework Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the dielectric constant in solving a problem involving the Schrodinger equation. The dielectric constant for the first medium is taken as 1, and for the second medium, it is calculated using the formula ## \epsilon_r = \frac{E}{E-V_0} ##. The problem may also involve a partial reflection at the boundary, with an angle of incidence equal to the angle of reflection.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-12_14-9-3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that ## \frac { \sin \theta } {\sin \theta ' } = \frac { n_2} { n_1} ##

I am taking the dielectric constant as 1 as the potential is 0 i.e. the medium is air..

So, ##n_1 = 1##

For the 2nd medium,

The dielectric constant ## \epsilon_r = \frac { E } { E- V_0} ##

So, ## n_2 = \sqrt{ \frac { E } { E-V_0 } } = 1+ \frac { V_0 } {2E } ##

What is wrong here?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_14-9-3.png
    upload_2017-12-12_14-9-3.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 653
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't solved it in its entirety yet, but I think the problem makes use of the Schrodinger equation. Try writing out the Schrodinger equation in two dimensions with an incident plane wave particle with ## \psi (\vec{r})=e^{i \vec{k}_o \cdot \vec{r} } ## and ## \vec{k}_o=k_{xo}\hat{i}+k_{yo} \hat{j} ##. ## \\ ## Editing: To complicate the problem, you might also get a partial reflection at the boundary, with angle of incidence =angle of reflection. (I'm not sure because I didn't solve it completely yet).

Last edited:
Likes Pushoam

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it. It is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a given material.

2. How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index can be measured using various techniques such as the Snell's law, critical angle method, and interferometry. These methods involve measuring the angle of refraction of a light ray passing through a material.

3. What factors affect refractive index?

The refractive index of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the wavelength of light. The density and chemical composition of the material also play a role.

4. What are some real-life applications of refractive index?

Refractive index is used in a variety of applications, including eyeglasses and contact lenses, optical fibers, microscopes and telescopes, and in the production of various materials such as plastics and glass.

5. How does refractive index affect the appearance of objects?

Refractive index can affect the way objects appear by causing them to appear distorted or magnified when viewed through certain materials. For example, objects viewed through a convex lens will appear larger and closer than they actually are.