Regarding the Galilean transformation of x'=x-vt

In summary, the minus sign in the Galilean Transformation indicates the direction and relative speed of a frame moving to the right. It also represents the difference in velocity between two frames of reference. The concept of relative motion can be used to derive the Galilean Transformation.
Ricky Pang
Hello everyone,
I am confused with the minus sign of x'=x-vt. When there are 2 references frames called K and K' which K is at rest and K' moves to right with velocity V with respect to K. Let there is another frame which is my frame of reference called O. The vector sum of the displacement should be OK'=OK+vt which equals x'=x+vt. However, this is wrong. So, I want to ask that what is the physical meaning of the minus sign of Galilean Transformation? Besides, can we apply the concept of relative motion to derive the Galilean Transformation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am in a car moving at 100 km/hr down the road; call the frame in which I am at rest K' and the frame in which the road is at rest K. I pass a house along the road; one hour later, where is that house? It is 100 kilometers behind me, and that's what that negative sign in the ##-vt## term is saying.

More generally:
K' is moving to the right relative to frame K, so K and anything at rest in K is moving to the left with speed ##v## when considered from K'.
Consider an object that is at rest at position 0 in frame K; at time ##t## its coordinates in that frame will be ##(0,t)##. However, it is moving to the left in K' so its position coordinate will become more negative with time; at time ##t## its coordinates in the primed frame will be ##(-vt,t)##.

Likes Ricky Pang
Ricky Pang said:
The vector sum of the displacement should be OK'=OK+vt which equals x'=x+vt. However, this is wrong. So, I want to ask that what is the physical meaning of the minus sign of Galilean Transformation?

The minus sign means that the velocity (if positive) represents a frame moving to the right.

Likes Ricky Pang
Just my 2 cents: another way is to differentiate the relation x'=x-vt with respect to time t. You then see that the velocity the frame x' is moving plus v equals the velocity the frame x is moving.

Likes Ricky Pang

1. What is the Galilean transformation of x'=x-vt?

The Galilean transformation of x'=x-vt is a mathematical equation used to convert the coordinates of an event from one reference frame to another moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It is based on the principles of Galilean relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames.

2. How is x' related to x and t in the Galilean transformation?

In the Galilean transformation, x' represents the position of an event in the moving reference frame, x represents the position of the same event in the stationary reference frame, and t represents the time at which the event occurs in both frames. The equation x'=x-vt shows that the position in the moving frame is equal to the position in the stationary frame minus the product of the velocity and time difference between the two frames.

3. Can the Galilean transformation be applied to all types of motion?

No, the Galilean transformation is only applicable to objects moving at constant velocities. It does not account for relativistic effects such as time dilation and length contraction, which are observed at speeds close to the speed of light. In those cases, the more accurate Lorentz transformation must be used.

4. How is the Galilean transformation different from the Lorentz transformation?

The Galilean transformation is based on the principles of classical mechanics and does not account for the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. The Lorentz transformation, on the other hand, takes into account these relativistic effects and is used to convert coordinates between inertial frames moving at any velocity, including those close to the speed of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Galilean transformation?

The Galilean transformation is commonly used in classical mechanics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects at everyday speeds. It is also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to convert coordinates between different frames of reference. Additionally, it is used in computer graphics to transform objects in a virtual environment to simulate motion from different perspectives.