What Are High and Low Turbine Stages in a Regenerative Rankine Cycle?

In summary: The actual process is represented by the curved lines, with the efficiency shown as the ratio between the actual and ideal process. In summary, the high and low turbine stages refer to different sections of the turbine, and the efficiency is a measure of how well the turbine is performing in comparison to the ideal case.
Kamuna
TL;DR Summary
states in regenerative rankine cycle
1648708336710.png

In this cycle/ schematics I'm a bit confused what are the high turbine stage low turbine stage. Does high turbine occur in state 2? and low on state 345? I am still having difficulties in determining what state is the high turbine or low turbine stage occur please enlighten me I'm just new to the topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Lnewqban said:
What do you mean by "occur in state 2 and state 345"?
Could you show a picture of the thermo cycle linked to this system?
Screenshot_20220331_220122.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331_220122.jpg
    Screenshot_20220331_220122.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 69
Kamuna said:
here is the t-s diagram i was just confused what does this efficiency means on the turbine
Has the linked article clarified that confusion?
Could you please improve the picture to include the left side of the text?
Thank you.

Efficiencies are applied throughout the entire turbine, i.e. either 1-2' or 3-5'. On the T-s diagram, the vertical lines represent the ideal case (efficiency = 100%).

1. What is a Regenerative Rankine cycle?

A Regenerative Rankine cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used to convert heat energy into mechanical work. It is based on the Rankine cycle, but includes a regenerator that preheats the working fluid before it enters the boiler, increasing the efficiency of the cycle.

2. How does a Regenerative Rankine cycle work?

In a Regenerative Rankine cycle, the working fluid (typically water) is pumped into a boiler where it is heated and converted into steam. The steam then expands through a turbine, producing mechanical work. After exiting the turbine, the steam is sent to a regenerator where it is preheated before entering the boiler again. This increases the efficiency of the cycle by reducing the amount of heat required in the boiler.

3. What are the advantages of a Regenerative Rankine cycle?

The main advantage of a Regenerative Rankine cycle is its increased efficiency compared to a traditional Rankine cycle. By preheating the working fluid, less heat is required in the boiler, resulting in lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions. Additionally, the regenerator can be designed to handle a wide range of temperatures, making it suitable for different types of power plants.

4. What are the applications of a Regenerative Rankine cycle?

A Regenerative Rankine cycle is commonly used in power plants to generate electricity. It can also be used in other industrial processes that require a large amount of heat, such as desalination plants and industrial heating systems. Additionally, it can be used in combined heat and power (CHP) systems to provide both electricity and heat for buildings.

5. What are the limitations of a Regenerative Rankine cycle?

One limitation of a Regenerative Rankine cycle is the cost and complexity of the regenerator. It requires additional equipment and maintenance, which can increase the overall cost of the power plant. Additionally, the efficiency gains of a regenerative cycle may not be significant in smaller power plants, making it more suitable for larger-scale applications.