Register for GRE Physics Subject Test | Tips & Deadlines for Fall 2021

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to take the GRE physics subject test in April, their questions regarding the test and its application deadline, and the purpose of the GRE general test for US university applicants. The speaker also mentions checking specific university requirements for the general GRE exam and notes that some physics graduate programs may not require it.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take GRE physics subject test probably around Fall this year. This is going to be my first experience taking GRE. I have some questions regarding this. If the application deadline in my desired university is somewhere in December, when should I take the GRE subject test (there are 4 test dates closest to December, all within September through November)?
Second, what is GRE general test typically for? Does every US university applicant, regardless of their department aim, have to take the general test?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blue_leaf77 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take GRE physics subject test in April. This is going to be my first experience taking GRE. I have some questions regarding this. If the application deadline in my desired university is somewhere in December, when should I take the GRE subject test (there are 4 test dates closest to December, all within September through November)?
Second, what is GRE general test typically for? Does every US university applicant, regardless of their department aim, have to take the general test?

Have you covered the bases w.r.t. the GRE itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Record_Examinations

http://www.ets.org/gre

blue_leaf77 said:
Does every US university applicant, regardless of their department aim, have to take the general test?

Check the requirements for the specific universities that you are applying to. I think most physics graduate programs in the US do require the general GRE exam in addition to the physics GRE exam, but I think I've read here that some don't.

Thanks, that's very informing.

1. What is the GRE test?

The GRE test is a standardized exam used to assess a student's readiness for graduate school. It measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. Who should take the GRE test?

The GRE test is typically taken by students who are planning to apply to graduate programs in various fields, such as business, law, medicine, or engineering. It is also sometimes required for certain fellowship and scholarship applications.

3. How do I register for the GRE test?

You can register for the GRE test online through the official website of the Educational Testing Service (ETS). You will need to create an account, select a test date and location, and pay the registration fee.

4. What is the registration fee for the GRE test?

The registration fee for the GRE test varies depending on the location, but it is typically around $205. There may also be additional fees for late registration, rescheduling, or score reporting.

5. When should I take the GRE test?

The GRE test is offered year-round, so you can choose a test date that works best for you. However, it is recommended to take the test at least 2-3 months before your graduate program application deadlines to allow time for score reporting.