Reissner-Nordström black hole: Spherical symmetry of EM field stregth tensor

In summary: Something to think about!In summary, the setup is that the review is discussing Einstein-Maxwell theory and how the gravitational field equations read. It talks about an ansatz for a spherically symmetric metric and how the Reissner-Nordström solution is the unique spherically symmetric solution. It talks about how the question is how F_{\theta \phi} is to be considered spherically symmetric and how the magnetic field looks nicely spherically symmetric when calculated using the given field strength tensor. It then talks about a more qualitative argument and mentions something to think about.
Jakob_L
The setup:

I am reading the review: arXiv:hep-th/0004098 (page 9-10).
In Einstein-Maxwell theory, the gravitational field equations read:
\begin{equation}
R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R = \kappa^2
\left( F_{\mu \rho} F^{\rho}_{\;\;\nu} - \frac{1}{4} g_{\mu \nu}
F_{\rho \sigma} F^{\rho \sigma} \right) \,
\end{equation}
We consider an ansatz for a spherically symmetric metric:
\begin{equation}
ds^2 = - e^{2g(r)} dt^2 + e^{2f(r)} dr^2 + r^2 d\Omega^2
\end{equation}
It says the unique spherically symmetric solution to this problem is the Reissner-Nordström solution:

\begin{equation}
\begin{array}
ds^2 = - e^{2f(r)} dt^2 + e^{-2f(r)} dr^2 + r^2 d \Omega^2 \\
F_{tr} = - \frac{q}{r^2} \;, \;\;\;
F_{\theta \phi} = p \sin \theta \\
e^{2f(r)} = 1 - \frac{2M}{r} + \frac{q^2 + p^2}{r^2} \\
\end{array}
\end{equation}

The question:
My primary question is: how is \begin{equation} F_{\theta \phi} = p \sin \theta \end{equation} to be considered spherically symmetric? Normally, I would consider something to be spherically symmetric, if it only depends on the radial coordinate. This is the case for F_{tr}, but not F_{\theta \phi}. Does this have to do with the fact, that we are exactly looking at the angular part of a two-form?
Furthermore, while we are at it, the spherically-symmetric metric tensor also has \theta dependence. How is my perception of spherical symmetry wrong?

Further discussion:
I see that this field strength gives the nice charges:
\begin{equation}
q = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \oint {}^{\star} F \;, \;\;\,
p = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \oint F \;,
\end{equation}
and if I calculate the magnetic field:
\begin{equation}
B^r = \frac{\epsilon^{0 r j k}}{\sqrt{-g}} F_{jk} = \frac{p}{r^2}
\end{equation}
it looks nicely spherically symmetric.

Is the given field strength tensor:
(1) actually not spherically symmetric, but arises from spherically symmetric electric and magnetic fields?
or
(2)
itself spherically symmetric, but this is just not obvious due to the two-form structure?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Lie derivatives?

The field strength tensor is spherically symmetric since it's proportional to the volume form on the 2-sphere,

[itex]\omega_2 \sim \sin\theta ~d\theta\wedge d\phi.[/itex]

Similarly, the metric in angular variables must have the correct factor of [itex]\sin\theta[/itex] to be consistent with the volume of the sphere.

In order to check spherical symmetry here, we'd want to write things in terms of the [itex]x_i[/itex] to see the symmetry. For the 2-form, we have

[itex] \omega_2 \sim \sum_{i,j,k} \epsilon_{ijk} x^i dx^j\wedge dx^k,[/itex]

while the metric can be written in the form

[itex] ds^2 = A \sum_i (dx^i)^2 + B \left( \sum_ix^i dx^i \right)^2.[/itex]

From these expressions we can see the spherical symmetry.

Alright, thanks for the answers.

So, I've read up on Lie derivatives today.
I see that my previous misconception was, that [itex]\partial_\theta[/itex] is not a Killing vector for spherical symmetry, but e.g. [itex]R=\partial_\phi[/itex] and [itex]S=\cos \phi \partial_\theta - \sin \phi \cot \theta \partial_\phi [/itex] are. This implies/follows from [itex]\mathcal{L}_R F =0 [/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{L}_S F =0 [/itex], where F is the two-form from my original question.

I still find this a bit strange, though :-) Is there a more qualitative argument?

I find this discussion about the spherically symmetric properties of the Reissner-Nordström black hole and its electromagnetic field strength tensor to be intriguing. It is true that the ansatz for the spherically symmetric metric includes a dependence on the angular coordinates, which may seem contradictory to the concept of spherical symmetry. However, in this case, the angular dependence is necessary to fully describe the curvature of spacetime around the black hole.

Regarding the electromagnetic field strength tensor, it is indeed spherically symmetric in the sense that it only depends on the radial coordinate. The inclusion of the angular coordinates in the expression \begin{equation} F_{\theta \phi} = p \sin \theta \end{equation} is due to the two-form structure of the field, which is necessary to fully describe the electromagnetic field in curved spacetime.

To answer the question, the given field strength tensor is itself spherically symmetric, but this may not be immediately obvious due to the presence of the angular coordinates. This is a common misconception when dealing with spherically symmetric systems in curved spacetime, and it is important to keep in mind the role of the two-form structure in accurately describing the electromagnetic field.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps in better understanding the spherically symmetric properties of the Reissner-Nordström black hole and its electromagnetic field strength tensor. Further research and analysis in this area is always encouraged to deepen our understanding of these fascinating phenomena.

1. What is a Reissner-Nordström black hole?

A Reissner-Nordström black hole is a type of black hole that is characterized by its electric charge and angular momentum. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity and is described by the Reissner-Nordström metric.

2. What is spherical symmetry in the context of EM field strength tensor?

Spherical symmetry in the context of EM field strength tensor refers to the property of the tensor that remains unchanged under rotation around a point. In other words, the tensor has the same value at all points that are equidistant from the center of rotation.

3. How is the EM field strength tensor related to the curvature of spacetime in a Reissner-Nordström black hole?

The EM field strength tensor is related to the curvature of spacetime in a Reissner-Nordström black hole through the Einstein field equations. The tensor describes the electric and magnetic fields in the vicinity of the black hole, which in turn, affect the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can the spherical symmetry of the EM field strength tensor be observed in real-life black holes?

Yes, the spherical symmetry of the EM field strength tensor can be observed in real-life black holes. This symmetry is a fundamental property of the black hole and is not affected by other factors such as the presence of matter or the rotation of the black hole.

5. How does the spherical symmetry of the EM field strength tensor affect the behavior of particles near the event horizon of a Reissner-Nordström black hole?

The spherical symmetry of the EM field strength tensor near the event horizon of a Reissner-Nordström black hole results in a uniform distribution of electric and magnetic fields. This can have significant effects on the motion and behavior of particles near the event horizon, including the possibility of particle acceleration and the formation of relativistic jets.