Relation between Poincare matrix and electromagnetic field t

In summary, the Poincare matrix and the electromagnetic field tensor have a similar structure and are related through infinitesimal Lorentz transformations. The Poincare matrix describes the boost and rotation while the electromagnetic field tensor has a similar effect on charge as the boost and rotation. They both satisfy the same algebra and for homogeneous static electromagnetic fields, the field tensor generates Lorentz transformations.
Muratani
We know that Poincare matrix which is 0 Kx Ky Kz
( -Kx 0 Jz -Jy ) describes the boost and rotation is very similar to
-Ky -Jz 0 Jx
-Kz -y -Jx 0

to the electromagnetic field tensor 0 -Ex -Ey -Ez , in here E field like boost and B field like rotation.
Ex 0 -Bz By
Ey Bz 0 -Bx
Ez -By Bx 0

My question is how they are related theoretically? and how we can show that they stasfy the same algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the Poincare matrix? (Reference?)
What are K and J in this antisymmetric matrix?
(Can you write in ##\LaTeX##?)

Poincare matrix is $ M^{\mu\nu}$ in Poincare algebra which describes Lorentz transformations. You can look up wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincaré_group. If we write $ M^{\mu\nu}$ as matrix form, it looks like
$$ M^{\mu\nu}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -K_x & -K_y & -K_z \\ K_x & 0 & J_z & -J_y \\ K_y & J_z &0 & J_x \\ K_z & J_y & -J_x &0 \end{pmatrix}$$.

In parallel to this notation for uniform constant field the electromagnetic field tensor will have a similar effect on charge E field like boost and B field like rotation and field tensor $F^{\mu\nu} $ have similar structure to $ M^{\mu\nu}$

$$ F^{\mu\nu}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -E_x & -E_y & -E_z \\ E_x & 0 & B_z & -B_y \\ E_y & B_z &0 & B_x \\ E_z & B_y & -B_x &0 \end{pmatrix}$$.

I was wondering what is theoretical connection between them?

Muratani said:
We know that Poincare matrix which is 0 Kx Ky Kz
( -Kx 0 Jz -Jy ) describes the boost and rotation is very similar to
-Ky -Jz 0 Jx
-Kz -y -Jx 0

to the electromagnetic field tensor 0 -Ex -Ey -Ez , in here E field like boost and B field like rotation.
Ex 0 -Bz By
Ey Bz 0 -Bx
Ez -By Bx 0

My question is how they are related theoretically? and how we can show that they stasfy the same algebra?

[itex]M_{\mu\nu}[/itex] are the 6 abstract generators of the Lorentz group [itex]SO(1,3)[/itex]. In the vector representation, [itex]M_{\mu\nu}[/itex] are six [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrices whose matrix elements are given by [tex](M_{\mu\nu})^{\alpha}{}_{\beta} \sim \delta^{\alpha}_{\mu} \ \eta_{\nu\beta} - \delta^{\alpha}_{\nu} \ \eta_{\mu\beta} \ . [/tex]
So, for example, the boost generators [itex]K_{i} = M_{i0}, \ i = x,y,z[/itex] are three [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrices with matrix elements given by [tex](K_{i})^{\alpha}{}_{\beta} \sim \delta^{\alpha}_{i} \ \eta_{0\beta} - \delta^{\alpha}_{0} \ \eta_{i\beta} .[/tex]
So, in the vector representation, [itex]M_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is a collection of six [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrices. But, the field tensor [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is a collection of 6 functions, i.e., six numbers which you can arrange them into one anti-symmetric [itex]4 \times 4[/itex] matrix. Under the Lorentz group, [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] transforms in the tensor representation of the generators [itex]M_{\mu\nu}[/itex]: [tex]\delta F_{\mu\nu} = \frac{i}{2} \left( \omega^{\rho\sigma}M_{\rho\sigma} \right)_{\mu\nu}{}^{\alpha\beta} \ F_{\alpha\beta} .[/tex]

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
The relation is that infinitesimal Lorentz transformations are given by antisymmetric ##4 \times 4## matrices. This is easy to see. For simplicity we work with the representation of Lorentz transformations with two lower indices, i.e.,
$$x_{\mu}'=\Lambda_{\mu \nu} x^{\nu},$$
where
$$\Lambda_{\mu \nu} = \eta_{\mu \rho} {\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\nu}.$$
For a Lorentz transformation you have
$$\eta^{\mu \nu} \Lambda_{\mu \rho} \Lambda_{\nu \sigma}=\eta_{\rho \sigma},$$
and for an infinitesimal transformation, i.e., ##\Lambda_{\mu \rho}=\eta_{\mu \rho}+\delta \Omega_{\mu \rho}## yieds up to quantities of 2nd order in the ##\delta \Omega##
$$\eta^{\mu \nu} (\eta_{\mu \rho}+\delta \Omega_{\mu \rho})(\eta_{\nu \sigma}+\delta \Omega_{\nu \sigma})=\eta_{\rho \sigma}+\delta \Omega_{\sigma \rho} + \delta \Omega_{\rho \sigma} \; \Rightarrow \; \delta \Omega_{\rho \sigma}=-\delta \Omega_{\sigma \rho}.$$
For homogeneous static em. fields the ##F_{\mu \nu}## generate Lorentz transformations, i.e., the trajectories (world lines) of particles are given by Lorentz transformations of the initial momenta, because the equation of motion reads
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} p^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}=\frac{q}{c} F^{\mu \nu} p_{\nu}.$$
For ##F^{\mu \nu}=\text{const}## you get indeed Lorentz transformations. For ##\vec{B}=0## it's a rotation-free boost, for ##\vec{E}=0## it's spatial rotation.

Thank you very much! It explains a lot.

1. What is the Poincare matrix?

The Poincare matrix, also known as the Stokes-Mueller matrix, is a mathematical tool used to describe the polarization properties of light. It is a 4x4 matrix that relates the input polarization state of a light beam to its output polarization state after passing through an optical system.

2. How is the Poincare matrix related to electromagnetic fields?

The Poincare matrix is closely related to the electromagnetic field of a light beam. It describes how the electric and magnetic field vectors of the beam change as it passes through an optical system. The matrix takes into account factors such as reflection, refraction, and birefringence.

3. What information can be obtained from the Poincare matrix?

The Poincare matrix contains valuable information about the polarization state of a light beam, including its degree of polarization, ellipticity, and orientation. It can also be used to analyze the properties of an optical system, such as its ability to manipulate polarization.

4. How is the Poincare matrix measured or calculated?

The Poincare matrix can be measured experimentally using polarimeters or other specialized instruments. It can also be calculated mathematically using the Jones calculus or the Mueller calculus, depending on the complexity of the optical system being analyzed.

5. What practical applications does the Poincare matrix have?

The Poincare matrix has a wide range of applications in optics and photonics, including polarization imaging, remote sensing, and polarization-sensitive biomedical imaging. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, where the polarization state of light is crucial in the transmission of signals.