Length of AD inside a triangle ABC

They also have the same area, since they share side AD and have the same altitude. So the ratio of their bases is the same as the ratio of their areas. In summary, the solution involves finding the length of side DB, using the cosine rule to find the cosine of angle B, and then using the ratios of the areas of triangles to find the length of side AD.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Cosine Rule

Area of triangle = 1/2 . a . b . sin C
1652849767292.png

I get the answer but my working is really long:
1) Find all the length of sides of the triangle
2) Let DB = x, so CD = CB - x
3) Compare the area of triangle ADC and ABD using formula 1/2 . a . b sin θ then find x
4) Find cosine of angle B by using cosine rule on triangle ABC
5) Use cosine rule again on triangle ABD to find the answer

Is there another approach to this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think steps 1-3 are kind of mandatory in order to find x.
But I "feel" there must be an easier way to find AD once you have found x. Hold on while I think a bit more on this.

Likes songoku
Only other thing I can think at the moment is to use Heron's formula for the triangle ABD. You know two sides and the area (1/4 of the area of the ABC) so you can find the third side.

Likes Lnewqban and songoku
Because BD and BC are colinear and the triangles share the point A what does the area ratio tell you about the length ratio of BD and BC? Then work with the coordinates.

Likes Prof B, Lnewqban and songoku
Thank you very much for the help Delta2 and Ibix

Ibix said:
Because BD and BC are colinear and the triangles share the point A what does the area ratio tell you about the length ratio of BD and BC? Then work with the coordinates.
The key thing is that ABC and ABD have the same altitude.

Likes songoku

1. What is the length of AD in triangle ABC?

The length of AD in triangle ABC is the distance from point A to point D, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem or by using trigonometric ratios.

2. How do you find the length of AD in triangle ABC?

The length of AD in triangle ABC can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (AD) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (AB and BC). Alternatively, the length of AD can also be found by using trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, depending on the given information about the triangle.

3. Can the length of AD in triangle ABC be negative?

No, the length of AD in triangle ABC cannot be negative. Length is a physical quantity that represents the distance between two points, and it cannot be negative as it has a magnitude but no direction.

4. What is the relationship between the length of AD and the other sides of triangle ABC?

The length of AD is related to the other sides of triangle ABC through the Pythagorean theorem. It is also related to the other sides by trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, depending on the given information about the triangle.

5. How does the length of AD affect the area of triangle ABC?

The length of AD does not directly affect the area of triangle ABC. However, it is one of the sides of the triangle, and any changes in its length will affect the overall shape and size of the triangle, which in turn will affect the area of the triangle.