Relation of I and V in secondry coil of transformer?

In summary: The second relation, P=(V^2)/R, is a different way of expressing the same concept, but it is not disobeying Ohm's law. It is important to understand that Ohm's law applies to individual components in a circuit, while the power loss due to resistance applies to the entire circuit as a whole. So, it is not a failure of Ohm's law, but rather a more complex relationship between voltage, current, and power.
waqarrashid33
One of the function of transformer is to increase the Voltage and decrease the current,It is according to P=IV.The decrease in the current will produce the loss in energy from the resistance of supply lines i.e P=I^2.R.

My question is that the P=(V^2)/R is also the power loss and in case of increase in voltage it increases?
HOw is it possible the Voltage will be greater but current will be samall,is it the failure of Ohm,s Law?
What is in the 2nd relation that it disobey it,or what is the error in my concept?
Plz give a comprehensive and simple answer of intermediate level.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, increasing the voltage does not necessarily increase the power loss. This is because power is proportional to the square of the current, so if the current is decreased, then the power will decrease as well. In other words, the power loss from the supply lines is determined by both the voltage and the current, since power is equal to voltage multiplied by current (P=IV). So, if the voltage is increased while the current is decreased, then the overall power loss can stay the same or even decrease. This is why transformers are used to increase voltage levels - to reduce the amount of current required to transmit the same amount of power.This does not contradict Ohm's law (V=IR) - it simply means that the power loss is not strictly proportional to the voltage.

Related to Relation of I and V in secondry coil of transformer?

What is the relation between I and V in the secondary coil of a transformer?

The relation between current (I) and voltage (V) in the secondary coil of a transformer is known as the turns ratio. It is determined by the ratio of the number of turns in the secondary coil to the number of turns in the primary coil. This ratio determines the amount of voltage that is induced in the secondary coil.

How does the turns ratio affect the output voltage of the transformer?

The turns ratio directly affects the output voltage of the transformer. If the turns ratio is greater than 1, the output voltage will be greater than the input voltage. If the turns ratio is less than 1, the output voltage will be less than the input voltage. This relation is known as the step-up or step-down principle of a transformer.

What is the mathematical equation for the turns ratio?

The turns ratio (N) can be calculated using the following equation: N = Nsecondary/Nprimary, where Nsecondary is the number of turns in the secondary coil and Nprimary is the number of turns in the primary coil.

How does the load connected to the secondary coil affect the current and voltage?

The load connected to the secondary coil affects the current and voltage in the secondary coil. If the load is increased, the current in the secondary coil will decrease, but the voltage will remain the same. If the load is decreased, the current in the secondary coil will increase, but the voltage will remain the same. This is due to the conservation of energy in a transformer.

Is the relation between I and V in the secondary coil of a transformer linear?

No, the relation between current and voltage in the secondary coil of a transformer is not linear. This is because the magnetic field created by the primary coil induces a varying voltage in the secondary coil, which results in a non-linear relation between I and V. However, under certain operating conditions, this relation can be approximated as linear.