Relationship between trace and phase space

In summary, the trace of a system is a measure of its dissipation or irreversibility while phase space is a mathematical representation of all possible states. The trace is directly related to the volume of phase space and can affect the behavior of the system. However, it cannot predict the future behavior with certainty. To calculate the trace and phase space, one can use mathematical models and equations. But there are limitations to using these methods, as they assume equilibrium and complete knowledge of variables and interactions, which may not always be the case.
sunrah
So I noticed we can define entropy in two very different ways:
1) quantum mechanically
[itex]S = -k Tr(\hat{\rho}\ln{(\hat{\rho})}) [/itex]
2) classically
[itex]S = -k \int \rho \ln{(\rho)} d\Gamma[/itex]

where Tr is the trace and [itex]d\Gamma = \frac{1}{h^{3N}N!}\prod_{i}^{N} d^{3N}q_{i}d^{3N}p_{i}[/itex] is the phase space volume element.

My question is how summing over the diagonal of an operator is like integrating the same quantity over phase space.

Edit: I realize that we are working out a mean value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I am always fascinated by the different ways in which we can define and understand physical quantities. In this case, entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, can indeed be defined in two different ways - quantum mechanically and classically.

To answer your question, let's first understand the concept of entropy in both quantum and classical mechanics. In quantum mechanics, entropy is defined as the von Neumann entropy, which is a measure of the uncertainty or lack of knowledge about the state of a system. It is given by the trace of the density operator, which represents the state of the system. On the other hand, in classical mechanics, entropy is defined as the Boltzmann entropy, which is a measure of the number of microstates (i.e. possible arrangements of particles) that correspond to a given macrostate (i.e. the state of the system as a whole).

Now, coming to your question, the reason why summing over the diagonal of an operator is equivalent to integrating the same quantity over phase space is because both methods are essentially calculating the average value of a quantity. In quantum mechanics, the trace of the density operator gives the average value of the quantity over all possible states of the system. Similarly, in classical mechanics, integrating over phase space gives the average value of the quantity over all possible microstates that correspond to a given macrostate.

To understand this better, let's consider an example. Imagine a system of particles confined to a box. In quantum mechanics, the density operator would represent the probability of finding a particle at a particular position in the box. Summing over the diagonal of this operator would give the average probability of finding a particle at any position in the box. Similarly, in classical mechanics, integrating over phase space would give the average number of particles at any position in the box.

In summary, while the mathematical expressions for entropy may be different in quantum and classical mechanics, the underlying concept of averaging over all possible states or microstates remains the same. I hope this helps clarify your question.

Related to Relationship between trace and phase space

1. What is the relationship between trace and phase space?

The trace of a system is a measure of its dissipation or irreversibility, while phase space is a mathematical representation of all possible states a system can occupy. The relationship between the two is that the trace of a system is directly related to the volume of phase space occupied by the system.

2. How does the trace affect the behavior of a system?

The trace of a system is related to its dissipation and irreversibility, which can affect the behavior of the system. A higher trace means a larger volume of phase space is occupied, resulting in a more chaotic or unpredictable behavior. A lower trace indicates a smaller volume of phase space and a more stable behavior.

3. Can the trace and phase space be used to predict the future behavior of a system?

The trace and phase space can provide useful information about the behavior of a system, but they cannot predict the future behavior with certainty. They can give an indication of the range of possible outcomes, but other factors such as external influences and random fluctuations can also affect the system's behavior.

4. How do you calculate the trace and phase space of a system?

The trace of a system can be calculated by summing the diagonal elements of its matrix representation. The phase space of a system can be calculated using mathematical models and equations that describe the system's dynamics and variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the trace and phase space for analyzing systems?

Yes, there are limitations to using the trace and phase space for analyzing systems. These methods assume that the system is in equilibrium and that all relevant variables and interactions are known. In reality, many systems are not in equilibrium and have complex, unknown interactions, making it difficult to accurately calculate and interpret the trace and phase space.