Relationship between work and potential energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and energy in relation to a person climbing a 4000 mile tall tower at the North Pole of Earth. It explains the equations used to calculate the work done by the surroundings and discusses the confusion surrounding the choice of system and equations. The conclusion is that the work is done by the person's muscles consuming chemical energy and the system can be considered as the person's body and the Earth. The final equation for the work done is given as W = GMeM/2Re.
carsof

Homework Statement

Imagine a thin tower 4000 miles tall; ı.e. as tall as the earth’s own radius Re, placed at the north pole of the earth. Suppose you start at rest at the base of the tower and climb to the top (wearing a spacesuit and carrying supplies you need, so that your total mass is M).

How much work would you have done by the time you are at the top of the tower and
at rest again? Neglect the mass of the tower compared to the mass of the earth.

Homework Equations

These are the formulas I picked up from class and from reading the textbook:
Total energy= U+K= Work by SURROUNDINGS
change in U = -Work internal
change in Ug= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

so, the explanation said to use "W= change in U" which I see they got from change in E= change in U + change in K = Work by surroundings (because change in K is 0 in this problem). HOWEVER, the explanation also said "if we consider the system to be you plus the earth, the gravitational potential energy is Ug(r)= ..."
But, wait a second...If I and the Earth are the system, then why are we using the equation that gives work done by the SURROUNDINGS. Shouldn't we use change in U = -Work internal? (in other words, change in U should have negative sign on it).
I'm just confused on what to make my system, which equations to use, why E even equals work done by surroundings.
Can someone please explain the concept and the reasoning behind the formulas here? Thank you so much.EXPLANATION: If we consider the system to be you plus the earth,the gravitational potential energy is

Ug(r) = −G Me M / r

The initial energy is Ei = Ug,i and the final energy is Ef = Ug,f. Thus the Energy Principle gives:

W=∆Ug=Ug(2Re)−Ug(Re)= GMe M/2Re .

Physics news on Phys.org
carsof said:
I'm just confused on what to make my system
The work is done, of course, by your muscles consuming chemical energy. You can take the (weightless) muscles etc. as being external to the system consisting of your body as a mass plus the Earth as a mass.

1. What is potential energy and how is it related to work?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is related to work because work is the transfer of energy from one form to another, and potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy through work.

2. How does the height of an object affect its potential energy?

The height of an object affects its potential energy because potential energy is directly proportional to the height of an object. The higher an object is positioned, the greater its potential energy will be.

3. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This typically occurs when the reference point for measuring potential energy is set at a higher point than the position of the object. In this case, the object's potential energy is lower than the reference point and is considered negative.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for potential energy (PE) is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

5. Does work always result in a change in potential energy?

No, work does not always result in a change in potential energy. For potential energy to change, the object must be in a position where it can be affected by a force. If the object is already at the lowest point of its potential energy, no work can be done and there will be no change in potential energy.