Relative Error of Right Triangle Area

In summary: Just remember to label your units when writing answers. In summary, the conversation was about using differentials to estimate the relative errors of the area of a right triangle with a given hypotenuse and acute angle, with a margin of error in the measurement of the angle. The main steps involved converting the angle measurement to radians and using the formula d(sin(2x))=2*cos(2x)*dx to find the relative error.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

Anyone mind checking my answer for me?

The area of a right triangle with hypotenuse H is

A=1/4H^2sin(2x)

x is one of the acute angles. Use differentials to estimate the relative errors of the area if H = 4cm exactly and x is measured to be 30degrees with an error of measurement of 15 minutes of arc.

Homework Equations

A=1/4H^2sin(2x)
dA=1/2H^2cos(2x)dx
dA/A=2cot(60)(0.25)

The Attempt at a Solution

A=1/4*16sin(60)=3.464cm^2
dA=8cos(60)(0.25)
=0.125cm^2
dA/A=0.125/3.464=0.2887=relative error

Now, did I have to convert to radians in step one? 30 to pi/6? Or is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:

Homework Statement

Anyone mind checking my answer for me?

The area of a right triangle with hypotenuse H is

A=1/4H^2sin(2x)

x is one of the acute angles. Use differentials to estimate the relative errors of the area if H = 4cm exactly and x is measured to be 30degrees with an error of measurement of 15 minutes of arc.

Homework Equations

A=1/4H^2sin(2x)
dA=1/2H^2cos(2x)dx
dA/A=2cot(60)(0.25)

The Attempt at a Solution

A=1/4*16sin(60)=3.464cm^2
dA=8cos(60)(0.25)
=0.125cm^2
dA/A=0.125/3.464=0.2887=relative error

Now, did I have to convert to radians in step one? 30 to pi/6? Or is this right?

The formula d(sin(2x))=2*cos(2x)*dx is correct only if x is measured in radians. You can call the 2x part either 60 degrees or pi/3 if you adjust your calculator for degrees or radians, but the dx part definitely needs to be in radians.

Dick said:
The formula d(sin(2x))=2*cos(2x)*dx is correct only if x is measured in radians. You can call the 2x part either 60 degrees or pi/3 if you adjust your calculator for degrees or radians, but the dx part definitely needs to be in radians.

Thanks Dick. So the steps I took were correct just needed to convert to radians?

How does this look?
15/60 degrees = 0.00436rad=dx
A=1/4*16sin(pi/3)=3.464cm^2
dA=8cos(pi/3)(0.00436)
=0.01744cm^2
dA/A=0.01744/3.464≈0.005=relative error

Jimbo57 said:
Thanks Dick. So the steps I took were correct just needed to convert to radians?

How does this look?
15/60 degrees = 0.00436rad=dx
A=1/4*16sin(pi/3)=3.464cm^2
dA=8cos(pi/3)(0.00436)
=0.01744cm^2
dA/A=0.01744/3.464≈0.005=relative error

That sounds much better.

Related to Relative Error of Right Triangle Area

What is the relative error of right triangle area?

The relative error of right triangle area is a measure of the difference between the actual area of a right triangle and its estimated or calculated area. It is expressed as a percentage or fraction of the actual area.

How is the relative error of right triangle area calculated?

The relative error of right triangle area is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the actual area and the estimated area, divided by the actual area. This value is then multiplied by 100 to express it as a percentage.

What is an acceptable relative error of right triangle area?

An acceptable relative error of right triangle area will vary depending on the specific application or industry. In general, a lower relative error indicates a more accurate estimation or calculation of the triangle's area. Some industries may have strict tolerances for relative error, while others may allow for a higher margin of error.

What factors can impact the relative error of right triangle area?

The relative error of right triangle area can be impacted by a variety of factors, including the accuracy of the measurement or calculation methods used, the precision of the measurements, and any rounding or truncation that may occur in the calculations. Additionally, human error or equipment limitations can also contribute to the relative error.

How can the relative error of right triangle area be minimized?

To minimize the relative error of right triangle area, it is important to use precise measurement and calculation methods, as well as high-quality equipment. Checking and double-checking all calculations and measurements can also help reduce potential errors. In some cases, using more complex or advanced mathematical models may also help to minimize the relative error.