Relative Extrema: Find a,b,c,d for f(x)

In summary, the problem involves finding values of a, b, c, and d such that the function f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d has a relative extrema at points (1,2) and (2,3). This requires solving a system of equations using the given critical points and the fact that f'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0. By substituting in the values for x and eliminating c, we can get two more equations and solve for the unknown variables.
jhodzzz

Homework Statement

I have to find a, b, c, and d such that the function defined by :
f(x) = ax3+bx2+cx+d
will have a relative extrema at points (1,2) and (2,3).

The Attempt at a Solution

From the given critical points, I am able to know that when x=1 or x=2, f'(x)=3ax2+2bx+c should be equal to zero.

Therefore f'(x) should have factors like (x-1) and (x-2) or in simplified form x2-3x+2. Now my problem is that how should I relate the two equations of f'(x) for me to be able to solve for the said unknowns?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know f'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 when x=1 and x=2, So substitute that in. You will get two equations which you can view as linear equations in the variables a, b, c, d, with the coefficient of d being zero.

What else do you need to solve this system and how can you get that information?

Gib Z said:
Well you know f'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0 when x=1 and x=2, So substitute that in. You will get two equations which you can view as linear equations in the variables a, b, c, d, with the coefficient of d being zero.

What else do you need to solve this system and how can you get that information?

>>> after getting the two equations: 3a + 2b + c and 12a + 4b + c, what will I do... I still could not find a way to get the values of a, b, c, and d... after eliminating c, I only get 9a + 2b giving two variables unknown still.. help.. :(

You can get two more equations. Look at all your information again!

Related to Relative Extrema: Find a,b,c,d for f(x)

1. What is the definition of relative extrema?

Relative extrema are the points on a graph where the function reaches its highest or lowest values in a specific interval, compared to the values of the function at nearby points.

2. How can we find relative extrema for a given function?

To find relative extrema, we can first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, we can solve for the values of x that make the derivative equal to zero. These values of x will correspond to the x-coordinates of the relative extrema. We can then plug these x-values back into the original function to find the corresponding y-values.

3. What is the significance of a, b, c, and d in finding relative extrema?

A, b, c, and d are the coefficients of the polynomial function, which can help us identify the type and location of the relative extrema. For example, if a is positive, the function will have a relative minimum at the x-coordinate of the relative extrema, and if a is negative, the function will have a relative maximum at the x-coordinate.

4. Can a function have multiple relative extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. This occurs when the function has multiple peaks and valleys in a specific interval. The number of relative extrema will be equal to the degree of the polynomial function minus one.

5. How do we determine if a relative extremum is a local or global extremum?

A local extremum is a relative extremum that is the highest or lowest point in a small neighborhood of points, while a global extremum is the highest or lowest point in the entire interval. To determine if a relative extremum is a local or global extremum, we can check the values of the function at nearby points. If the values are higher or lower than the relative extremum, then it is a global extremum. If the values are only higher or lower than the relative extremum in a small neighborhood, then it is a local extremum.